ETL error: "failed to convert value 'Infinity' from type 'Floating Decimal' to type 'Fixed Decimal'"

Hi,

I have a magic ETL dataflow. It has 2 input sources. There's a formula tile where we calculate a pacing percentage.

(`Delivered Impressions` / (`Campaign Flight` - `Days Remaining`)) / (`Total Goal` / `Campaign Flight`)

We've been using this dataflow and formula without any issue for months and now we're getting this strange error "failed to convert value 'Infinity' from type 'Floating Decimal' to type 'Fixed Decimal'" causing the run to fail. It took a while to even find the source of the error since all the formulas within the tile validated just fine and the ETL interface didn't specify which column was causing the problem. I also examined the source input datasets and didn't notice any fields out of the ordinary.

Is there a way to easily debug this, or perhaps is there a known fix for this error? Thanks.

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Typically when you're getting an Infinity error it means you're dividing by 0. Have you tried wrapping your formula in a CASE statement to check against having a 0 denominator and then return a 0 or some other default value?

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Typically when you're getting an Infinity error it means you're dividing by 0. Have you tried wrapping your formula in a CASE statement to check against having a 0 denominator and then return a 0 or some other default value?

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Hi, just bumping this as a new error has come up. Now I'm getting an error for this formula tile that says "failed to convert value 'NaN' from type 'Floating Decimal' to type 'Fixed Decimal'"

It's my understanding that this is “not a number” but how would I go about debugging this?