Quickly filtering multiple values at once

Using the analyzer I want to filter if the value is IN one of multiple values. For example, we have 5,000 part numbers and a card to look at their sales performance.  I want to be able to filter on say 100 of them.  Instead of typing them in 1 at a time into the filter and then checking the box, is there a way to type them all in first and then checking Select All?

Best Answer

• Unknown
    Answer ✓

A couple of ways to think about this. 

1. If there is a certain consistent logic to the part numbers (eg all syphons start with SY-) then you can enter this text into the filter box, use the select all button, and it will grab all items that contain those values.

2. If you create a product hierachy this can be added to the data set in a dataflow (this will make it available in the analyzer page filter -- note, beast modes are not availbe to use as filters at the page level).

3. Create an in tool auto filter fuction. Making this up as I go, so forgive me if it's a little obtuse. 

Auto filter function. Steps

1. Create a join to a webform (that you can edit) which will contain two columns. Column 1 is a part number, Column 2 is  flag to include/exclude. 
    2. This join includes a new column in your data set that marks an "include" when it matches on a part number.
    3. Export part numbers you need to filter in excel (could be 15 or 1000)
    4. Paste them into column 1 in the webform.
    5. Save webform.
    6. Use this webform for ad hoc filtering (it will take a few minutes for the data flow to run, but when it finishes, you'll have a simple "include" flag that you can use to filter all of your data. 
    7. This will take a few minutes, but likely much less time that manually building a new dashboard, or selecting 1500 values in a dropdown.

Answers

• Godzilla
    Godzilla Contributor

The cleanest way to do this would be to add a higher level product grouping field to your dataset and use that field to filter down on groups of parts. For example, if you're selling car parts, you can have group  such as Engine, Transmission, etc and assign each part one of these groups. Then in Domo filter on this field to get your groups of parts. 

Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'
  • ckatzman
    ckatzman Contributor

Godzilla has the right idea with a higher level product grouping.  Remember also that you can do this in several ways... you could either do it in your source data before you import to Domo (maybe that grouping already exists in your data and just wasn't part of the imported data), or you could create a CASE statement in Domo using Beast Mode.

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
    **Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
  • Unfortunately, there arent groups.  Here is a use case.  Customer calls up or sends us an email.  They want to know performance on several differtent parts.  That part grouping is different every time.  So the only way I see making it work is to create a beast mode CASE statement and manually edit it every time with the list of parts.  I'm weary of having end users edit a beast mode every time though.  It woudl be great if it could be done at the filter level by using a special character to separate values.

• ckatzman
    ckatzman Contributor

A customer probably has an ID, but might have multiple "requests"... does each "request" (which may include performance on multiple parts) get any kind of unique identifier, like an InvoiceID or OrderID that you could then filter on?

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
    **Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
  • No...consider it like a quote request.  We have a catalog of 5,000 parts that we repair.  They want to know how we perform on 15 essentially random parts.  

• Unknown
    Answer ✓

A couple of ways to think about this. 

1. If there is a certain consistent logic to the part numbers (eg all syphons start with SY-) then you can enter this text into the filter box, use the select all button, and it will grab all items that contain those values.

2. If you create a product hierachy this can be added to the data set in a dataflow (this will make it available in the analyzer page filter -- note, beast modes are not availbe to use as filters at the page level).

3. Create an in tool auto filter fuction. Making this up as I go, so forgive me if it's a little obtuse. 

Auto filter function. Steps

1. Create a join to a webform (that you can edit) which will contain two columns. Column 1 is a part number, Column 2 is  flag to include/exclude. 
    2. This join includes a new column in your data set that marks an "include" when it matches on a part number.
    3. Export part numbers you need to filter in excel (could be 15 or 1000)
    4. Paste them into column 1 in the webform.
    5. Save webform.
    6. Use this webform for ad hoc filtering (it will take a few minutes for the data flow to run, but when it finishes, you'll have a simple "include" flag that you can use to filter all of your data. 
    7. This will take a few minutes, but likely much less time that manually building a new dashboard, or selecting 1500 values in a dropdown.
This discussion has been closed.