Adding values to a custom chart

Samuel.
Samuel. Contributor

Hi,

This one is a bit of a stinker - our organisation has limited the use of DDX bricks currently, and I need to build a risk matrix with set colouring in each square of a 5 x 5 matrix grid. Initially, the goal was to create a pivot table with cleverly hidden columns and colour rules, but as some values were 0, the colour rules were not always applied. I also could not get both of the categories to sort correctly. If there were a cell with a value of 0, the sort would not include it too.

As a result, I've been creating a custom SVG file from scratch in Inkscape with custom, forced fills of colour but have just realised that all the custom graphs I have seen do not have a callout with the actual number in each segment. Whilst trying to avoid colouring the matrix as a heatmap, I'm unsure if it's possible to have the number over each segment. Is this possible? If not, what other options do I possibly have?

The goal is to have something that visually looks like the link below but with a count of risks against each category.

Risk Heat Map – A Powerful Visualization Tool | Balbix

Answers

• Domo added a Risk Heat Map card type a few months ago. Have you tried using it? Here's the KB article.

https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/7506837994007?language=en_US

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Samuel.
    Samuel. Contributor

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response - I've been watching a lot of the content you have put out on custom charts on behalf of DOMO with this, so I appreciate your time and want to thank you for your help with SVG files and the custom chart format.

Unfortunately, the Risk Heatmap card suffers from the same problem as any other table where if you want to use a custom sort through a beast mode, any cells with 0 values will not be captured and sorted correctly, leading to the categories being out of order, (unless I'm missing a trick?).

The other issue with the risk heatmap is that as it's a gradiated colour pallet, the set cells that need to be a specific colour cannot be coloured correctly. Part of the work we will be doing in other graphs is trending the time-series of the count of each colour bucket to differentiate severity visually. So the set colour per cell is, unfortunately, crucial for the story we are looking to tell.

• @Stuck I'm glad you have found my videos helpful for you. In this case, I don't think the custom chart is going to work for you as each square in your grid would need to be labeled and the data then has to match it and there would be not sorting capabilities.

I wonder if the heat map chart type would work for you.

I used a beast mode to create the labels on each axis and then another beast mode to put into the sorting so they sort in the correct order. You can then leverage the ranges chart properties to color the squares to your desired needs, or use the diverging colors feature. I would defnitely explore all the chart properties to in this chart type to see if it would work for you as there are more options available than the risk heat map chart type.

• Samuel.
    Samuel. Contributor

Thanks, @MarkSnodgrass The goal was to set the ID of each square of the chart as a concat of its x & y categories and then assign a count against each cell of the 5 x 5 matrix (25 cells). If the colour of each square were pre-set, the only thing I would be missing would be the data label, as I could just put a count against the concat categories. I will play with it tomorrow and see what happens.

However, you have presented an excellent example of how it could look if the requirements were simply a gradient of colours. If I can't get it to work, I will regress to this process as I've managed to fix my sort by including dummy 0 values when no data is available and "checking" show 0 values, too.

It's a shame there aren't more options for colour logic in these charts because overriding and filling a cell with a specific colour is almost impossible but could be incredibly valuable.

• Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. Have you already played around with the data label settings when you using the custom chart? You can have the value show on top of the cell or a tooltip field value. That might solve your data label issue if you haven't already tried this.

• Samuel.
    Samuel. Contributor

Hey @MarkSnodgrass, I have now and have got the labels working as intended. However, do you know a process to override the colour of each cell? When uploading my custom chart, DOMO clears all vector fill colour values and, similarly to the standard heatmap chart, colours each shape vector based on its value. Is there a way to turn this off or edit the SVG file to force the colour through to DOMO?