YOY Progress Bars

damen
damen Contributor

Is there a way to compare YTD (fiscal year) this year vs the same period in another year?

Current the progress bar is counting all of FY 2021 and comparing that to FY 2023, which we are only about 50% of the way though. Ideally this progress bar would show closer to 50% but I am not sure how to compare just the first 6-ish months of FY 2021 vs the same period in FY 2023

If this helps, feel free to agree, accept or awesome it!

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

If you go to the bottom of the post there's an updated version (under Addendum) of JSON code you can copy and then paste into the ETL canvas area to automatically populate the necessary tiles and logic. You'll just need to name the output dataset and select the correct datasets for the input datasets.

There are two different version of the dataflow, one for MySQL and one for Magic ETL 2.0, you only need the one you prefer.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• Hi @damen

I'd recommend utilizing your own date dimension table to compare the same days per year. I've done a writeup on how to do this previously here: https://dojo.domo.com/main/discussion/53481/a-more-flexible-way-to-do-period-over-period-comparisons#latest

• damen
    damen Contributor

@GrantSmith

Ok so I've gone through and downloaded the calendar.csv file and have it pulled up in an ETL.

Now I'm on the 'MySQL' section of your article and all I'm trying to do is make this capable of doing a weekly comparison. (No need to have a daily, monthly or other intervals)

I prefer working in ETL so I understand that I have to pull the tiles.

I'm assuming I'm using the logic from this line -

1. select d.`dt` as "Report Date", date_sub(`dt`, interval '7' day) as "Comparison Date", 'Last Week' as 'Period Type'
    2. from `dates` d

How would this translate to a ETL tile?

I can't get past the part of 'date_sub' what is a parallel to this portion in ETL?

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

If you go to the bottom of the post there's an updated version (under Addendum) of JSON code you can copy and then paste into the ETL canvas area to automatically populate the necessary tiles and logic. You'll just need to name the output dataset and select the correct datasets for the input datasets.

There are two different version of the dataflow, one for MySQL and one for Magic ETL 2.0, you only need the one you prefer.

• damen
    damen Contributor

@GrantSmith Super helpful. Thank you and much appreciation for your help.