Period Over Period Multi-Value cards zeroing out when user changes the date

Good afternoon,

I have several Multi-Value cards displaying both month-over-month and year-over-year values. They work great as is - but the values change to zero when a user changes the date at the page level.

Is this supposed to happen or a side-effect of shoddy card building?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• @Joe_M

The option to control date ranges in multiple places can be very confusing and result in some strange behavior on a dashboard.

My general rule of thumb is to try to only control the dates in one place. If your end users are comfortable making those changes at the dashboard level, then I would avoid adding any filters to a card that limits the data. You may also need to get creative with some smart text in your card titles to ensure that they align with whatever date grain was selected at the dashboard level. You will also need to be careful when it comes to how you build the multi-value card with the change options. For example, your Month over Month card will want to make sure it is comparing the last two values instead of the first value to the last value.

If you can keep your date controls in one spot, then the cards should all react to whatever is selected there.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor

@Joe_M I have experienced this as well so have decided to not use the native period over period controls. (Although they are very nice)

@GrantSmith has posted a solution for this that allows for much greater control and flexibility. https://dojo.domo.com/main/discussion/53481/a-more-flexible-way-to-do-period-over-period-comparisons#latest

The only downside is your dataset can become very large.

Good luck.

• @Joe_M

When the page level filter is applied it is ignoring all of the old data and only filtering for those exact dates. The prior year or month data is filtered out which is why you're getting nothing for those card. This is why I will create my own date dimension table to better handle period over period type comparisons as @Jones01 mentioned.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**