Parsing Dates with Different Formats

Does anyone have any guidance for using a formula/function in a beast mode or using the regex functionality to ensure Domo recognizes all of the dates below as the same?

• 5/12/2022
  • 5/12/22
  • 2022-05-12
Tagged:

Answers

• You can wrap a couple REPLACE functions around your field that replaces the hyphens and periods with slashes followed by the DATE function to format these as date. It would look something like this:

DATE(
     REPLACE(
     REPLACE(`String`,'-','/')
      ,'.','/')
     )

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Thanks - that worked for most of the entries - but now all the ones that had 22 as the year vs. 2022 still aren't showing up well. So I'm left with the remaining formats:

• 22-5-20
    • 22-2022-05

I thought about doing a replace on 22 to 2022 but I'm afraid that will impact 5/22/2022 items.

• Can you post your formula? Wrapping the DATE function around everything should normalize the years.

• DATE(

REPLACE(

REPLACE(`Interview Scheduled Date`,'-','/')

,'.','/')

)

• Actually the dataset errored out - let me investigate further.

• It keeps erroring out noting "Failed to convert value '005/27/22' from type 'String' to type 'Date'."

I then added to your formula

DATE(

replace(REPLACE(

REPLACE(`Interview Scheduled Date`,'/','-')

,'.','-'),'00','0')

)

But I got this result, "Failed to convert value '05-27-22' from type 'String' to type 'Date'."

• See how close this gets you:

DATE(
    REPLACE(
    REPLACE(
    REPLACE(`Interview Scheduled Date`,'00','')
     ,'-','/')
     ,'.','/')
     )

This still might not work for 100% of your data because it seems like you have rows with 2 digit years in different spots and Domo won't know if that is a year or a day. You might need to try and thinking about incorporating a case statement as well and performing different logic based on certain conditions.

• Got it - I will look at the case logic - from your last note - I got the following error:

"Failed to convert value '22/04/18' from type 'String' to type 'Date'."

• I think the logic is helpful enough - I think I will have to add some data validation to the front end.