Publishing to subscriber instances problem

Hi,

Has anyone using the edit experience of domo everywhere had trouble with dashboard changes in their parent instance not appearing in the subscriber instance(s) when the publication is refreshed.

Things like adding a chart, removing a chart, changing the title of a chart.

The refresh option in the admin says it has all been published again but the changes don't always arrive in the child instance.

Thanks

Paul

Tagged:

Answers

• I have found that I have to wait 30-60 minutes for a child instance to see the changed charts after the publish refresh job has told me that it is finished. Domo also recently implemented targeted refresh, so it is worth double-checking that all of the appropriate child instances are targeted when refreshing.

Hope this helps.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    edited September 2022

@MarkSnodgrass Thanks for sharing.

This appears to be the similar to my experience. So if I add a chart the number of cards published doesn't always go up by 1.

It will stay as it is and then if I keep refreshing(republishing) it eventually takes and the subscriber is updated.

This can not be correct surely.

• @Jones01 I will often edit the publish job and click through everything to make sure everything is properly selected and then choose refresh after that is done.

I don't completely trust the numbers that show the number of datasets, pages, cards and subscribers. Mostly because I know my subscriber count is incorrect (mine says 25 when it should be 21).

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    edited September 2022

@MarkSnodgrass same issues running through the edit option and republish. It even says the correct number of cards in the pages tab but when it publishes the summary number wrong. Unless this updates, my child instances aren't getting the update.

I can't be checking all of our subscriber instances every time we make a change. We have a similar number to yourself.

• Totally agree with you. It's a bit unfortunate, but I try to limit how often I edit my published dashboards because I can't go around making sure every child instance received the refresh properly. I'm hoping they will continue to improve the process and I can regularly make changes to the dashboard and not be so reluctant to make a change.

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor

We are new to domo and domo everywhere so the rate of changes on dashboards at the start is likely to be quite high. Clicking publish and it not publishing is just not an option for us.

• akeating
    akeating Contributor

I agree with both of you.

After our content releases, I spot-check my child instances to ensure that they seem to have received the correct content; however, there are rare cases where an individual instance will randomly not get a couple of cards on a page. 

I'm not sure how big your publication jobs are, but I have some that take a few hours to hit all of the instances (45 datasets, 45 pages, 460 cards, 58 subscribers), so I typically wait a while to verify that the instances have updated correctly.

I believe Domo is working on some enhancements to Domo Everywhere that will give us metrics around publications, like how many pages we sent from a publisher instance and how many are on the child instances. Some people, like @jaeW_at_Onyx, perhaps, use APIs to verify that the correct content made it to the proper places.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree, Like, or Awesome below.**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor

@akeating thanks.

This was 2 pages 6 cards across 3 subscribers. Nothing major.

I'm waiting to hear back from domo on this.

I'm a software developer and have never released a feature that sometimes works 🤣

Don't get me wrong I love domo but paid features must work.

• akeating
    akeating Contributor

@Jones01 absolutely! This is one of the areas I'm really looking forward to Domo improving.

I expect that the quantity and size of our publication jobs will only grow, so a scalable, reliable solution for publishing and monitoring publications is critical to me. I also think it should be part of the UI for ease of use.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree, Like, or Awesome below.**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll keep you posted when and how I get this resolved.

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    edited September 2022

@akeating @MarkSnodgrass

Mystery solved. After some trial an error I have worked out that you can only publish changes once in every 5 minute period.

This is absolutely fine for us but when you are testing a feature and the interface doesn't indicate this and the docs state the below it can all get rather confusing and frustrating haha.

Edit: This is working for adding and removing content but updating a chart title doesn't seem to work now at all.