Date Filter Card Will Not Toggle

Hello! This is my first time posting on the Dojo.

I am trying to set up a 14-day and 30-day card filter for my org. The one used at the moment does not toggle. So if I select the 30-day card filter, it will stay at the 30-day filter if I deselect the check box or slide the slicer. It will only go back to default if I clear the selection in the filter view header.

Is there any known solutions? I've tried everything I can think of so far.

As reference, I am currently using this beastmode for the filter :

Case 

when `Invoice Date` >= SUBDATE(CURRENT_DATE(),interval 30 day) then 'Rolling 30 Days'

End

Best Answer

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

@jkami you would want to take a look at the Variables beta (or is it GA? who knows??)

The Variables feature would allow you to pass a value "num_rolling_days" into your beast mode.

Case 

when `Invoice Date` >= SUBDATE(CURRENT_DATE(),interval num_rolling_days day) then 'Rolling Days'

End

until that time comes, you do have to do a ton of data gymnastics to give users a toggle between 15,30, and 60 days.

You say you can't use your View in ETL due to 'monstrous size'. how big are we talking here? If you design your pipeline to take advantage of Magic 2.0 + Partitioning (which i believe is in GA) you might be able to have a dataset with a monstrous size that you can still update.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• Hi @jkami last I checked, there are some limitations with using beast modes as page filters. I would start by using a formula tile in MagicETL to create your Date Filter column and use that for your filter instead.

• @MichelleH

I totally forgot to mention it, but that won't work. The data is a based on a VIEW, and it cant be used in MagicETL because of its monstrous size.

• @jkami Good to know! Are you able to use a calculated field in the View instead?

• @MichelleH There is currently 3 calculated field I have added to the view to try and filter the data. Each is based on the above case statement just with 15, 30, or 60 days. If the data is within 15 days, the output row in the column is 'X', 30 is 'Y' and 60 is 'Z', if else its 'N. I've tried creating a separate beast mode that uses those parameters, but again, still will not toggle.

• @jkami Have you looked into Filter Views (https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042923914)? It might be simpler to preset three filter views for last 15, 30, and 60 days.

• @MichelleH The people that will be using the data are not very technical, and rarely use the filter view header. That is why I am trying to built a button they can press that will toggle the filter.

• I'm not sure that you could create a filter for Rolling 15, 30, and 60 days all using the same beastmode. The issue would be that if you selected "Rolling 60 Days" then nothing from the rolling 30 or rolling 15 days would get through the filter. I think @MichelleH is on the right track with recommending filter views.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

@jkami you would want to take a look at the Variables beta (or is it GA? who knows??)

The Variables feature would allow you to pass a value "num_rolling_days" into your beast mode.

Case 

when `Invoice Date` >= SUBDATE(CURRENT_DATE(),interval num_rolling_days day) then 'Rolling Days'

End

until that time comes, you do have to do a ton of data gymnastics to give users a toggle between 15,30, and 60 days.

You say you can't use your View in ETL due to 'monstrous size'. how big are we talking here? If you design your pipeline to take advantage of Magic 2.0 + Partitioning (which i believe is in GA) you might be able to have a dataset with a monstrous size that you can still update.

Jae Wilson

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • @jaeW_at_Onyx

Yeah if I could use the ETL view I wouldn't be having so many issues. The dataset is very, very large. In the billions. Yes it has been partitioned as well.

• @jkami talk to your CSM about the Variables beta, that would be the easiest path forward for this problem and if you have Partitions in ETL then it seems like that shouldn't be a big ask.

If your data goes back super far, you can filter your data using Dataset Views before pulling them in ETL, so if you know you only need 180 days of data that might be something you pre-flilter in a DSV before throwing it into ETL.

BUUUUT for your use case (rolling x days) the variables beta is probably the better tool for the job. but again, if the max i need to go back is X days, i'd probably build a DSV that prefilters the data, maybe drops a few unnecessary columns, then have support "optimize the DSV" and everything should feel much snappier.

Jae Wilson

• @jaeW_at_Onyx Thanks for the info. If I could access such a feature, it would probably improve and simplify a lot of the gymnastics I currently have to use. What does 'GA' stand for?

• sorry GA = "general availability". as in "not a beta feature".

just check in w/ your CSM.

Jae Wilson

• @jaeW_at_Onyx Ohh ok gotcha. Thanks again.