Line over BAR chart

Hi All,

Hope you are doing well!.. I currently have a bar chart to show the this year inventory by Fiscal week... I want to have a line running over my bar chart that shows the inventory for the same time last year...Can you please let me know how to do that..

My beast mode for This year inventory

count(distinct case when year(`SNAPSHOT_DATE`) = year(current_date) then `sno` end)

My beast mode for last year inventory

count(distinct case when year(`SNAPSHOT_DATE`) = year(current_date)-1 then `sno` end)

Current state of my chart (having only 2022 inventory)...(Attached pic)..I want to have a line chart running over my bar chart showing the 2021 inventory...

Tagged:

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @ozarkram

I'd suggest utilizing a date offset dimension table to allow you to have the metrics for the prior year based on a specific date and then utilize a beast mode to bucket your numbers properly. I've done a writeup in the past on this here: https://dojo.domo.com/main/discussion/53481/a-more-flexible-way-to-do-period-over-period-comparisons#latest

You can then utilize a beast mode for this year and another for last year, put the last year beast mode first (these are the lines in the line + bar chart) and then put in this years beast mode.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• If you want to got the bar and line route, I think you'll need to use a new date column to graph by. Right now, your data is looking something like this with the beast modes:

Date Inventory This Year Last Year

Wk 1 2022 1,000 sno

Wk 1 2021 1,000 sno

You've identified last year and this year, but last year will still be graphed using last year's dates. You'll need to use a beast mode to create a date column where this year's dates are unaffected, but when the date is last year, add one year to it.

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @ozarkram

I'd suggest utilizing a date offset dimension table to allow you to have the metrics for the prior year based on a specific date and then utilize a beast mode to bucket your numbers properly. I've done a writeup in the past on this here: https://dojo.domo.com/main/discussion/53481/a-more-flexible-way-to-do-period-over-period-comparisons#latest

You can then utilize a beast mode for this year and another for last year, put the last year beast mode first (these are the lines in the line + bar chart) and then put in this years beast mode.