Assigning blank value as Zero

ozarkram
ozarkram Member
edited March 2023 in Beast Mode

Hi All,

I have a field by the name rate which has decimal values and this field is coming in from a google sheet..

I have a lot of rows of this field as blank ...Can you please let me know how to replace the blank values as 0..

I am currently using this case when ifnull(rate,0) then 0 else rate....This is giving an error

Best Answers

• Recluz
    Recluz Member
    Answer ✓

CASE WHEN rate IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE rate END

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    COALESCE(`rate`, 0)

Coalesce also works. It returns the first non-null value supplied. This is assuming your data is actually NULL and not an empty string. If it is you can force it to be null:

COALESCE(NULLIF(TRIM(`rate`), ''), 0)

TRIM to strip whitespaces at the beginning and end of the string for good measure.

Also to address your beast mode IFNULL will return a value but it's not evaluating to TRUE for FALSE as the case statement expects. This is why you're getting an error.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• Recluz
    Recluz Member
    Answer ✓

CASE WHEN rate IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE rate END

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    COALESCE(`rate`, 0)

Coalesce also works. It returns the first non-null value supplied. This is assuming your data is actually NULL and not an empty string. If it is you can force it to be null:

COALESCE(NULLIF(TRIM(`rate`), ''), 0)

TRIM to strip whitespaces at the beginning and end of the string for good measure.

Also to address your beast mode IFNULL will return a value but it's not evaluating to TRUE for FALSE as the case statement expects. This is why you're getting an error.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Thank you so much @Recluz and @GrantSmith ..Really appreciate your help!

• thank you it works in my case