Renaming Columns and NOT breaking cards

I am barely getting started with the vast DOMO world so forgive me if this is an obvious thing.

I was recently creating a dataflow and some cards from that dataflow and decided to test something out. I created the card using a column from that dataflow and then proceeded to change the name of that column in the dataflow. What happened was it "broke" the card and I had to fix it by having it use the "newly renamed column" even though it was the same column.

Is there anyway to avoid this when setting up the card? or is this just something that I need to be aware of when creating the dataflow and knowing how many affected cards there are down the road?

thank you

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

Column names are case-sensitive when Domo evaluates if a column is the same or not. For example, ID is different than id for Domo. You can use the Select Columns tile in Magic ETL to rename columns and keep your cards from breaking.

Hope this helps.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

Column names are case-sensitive when Domo evaluates if a column is the same or not. For example, ID is different than id for Domo. You can use the Select Columns tile in Magic ETL to rename columns and keep your cards from breaking.

Hope this helps.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • I have the same issue. I want to rename multiple columns and would like to make sure that nothing breaks.

How would using Magic ETL to rename the columns keep the cards from breaking? If the card uses field 'date' now and I rename it to 'start date', the card would break, no?

• @genchevd That's correct, it would break the card. If you want to change the field name, I would recommend first duplicating the original column in MagicETL with the new name. Once the new field is added, change all cards using that field to the new one (the Card Fields & Beast Modes report from the Domo Governance Connector is great for identifying which card use it). Then you can safely delete the old column from the dataflow

• In the Domo governance datasets, I've seen columns Column Name and Column ID . I guess the latter is how actually Domo identifies columns in the backend. Is it possible to change the Column Name but not the Column ID?

Alternatively, for display purposes in cards and pages, is it possible to show the column description instead of the underlying name?

I am just thinking out loud about possible solutions to my renaming problem.

• Did you figure out any better way to do this without having to touch every single card to fix it?