How should dataset be structured to create a simple line and bar graph?

Dr_Duru
Dr_Duru Member
edited March 2023 in Datasets

I am not sure whether this can be done because I do not see in Domo's chart options a selection for a simple (vertical) bar chart with a single line.

If such a graph exists, how should the dataset be structured? The objective is to show several categorical values in the bars and the line represents a goal that is determined dynamically from a dataflow. I see two structural options...

Option #1 (single row) of values)

| Goal # | Cat Value #1 | Cat Value #2 | ....

Option #2 (a row for each categorical value and the goal)

| Category name | Value |

| Goal | Goal # |

| Cat #1 | Cat Value #1 |

| Cat #2 | Cat Value #2 |

Is any of this possible in Domo?

Answers

• You can use a line + Bar chart to get what you want. If you have your data formatted with option one the first field you put a at value will be the line and all others will be the bars. If you want more than one line you can change the number of fields used in the general section of the properties.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Thanks. @GrantSmith

My data is formatted with option two and I mistakenly thought I could use the pivot in Magic ETL to convert it into option 1. Are there any other options here?

• You can use a beast mode to classify the different buckets or alternatively you could use an ETL and pivot your data in there before displaying in the line + bar chart.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • I was having issues to get the pivot in Magic ETL to work as I would expect. It looks like the pivot relies on a static set of labels from the rows that will become columns. But my data are dynamic. The rows can and will change over time. I checked out the dynamic unpivot to see whether I could kludge a solution, but that of course did not work.