how to create a bar line chart

I just want to create a simple Bar Line chart.... how do I get the lines? This should be simple, yet I can't figure this out....

Comments

• Check the date range filter properties and see if you have anything set to compare against. Your date range can't be set to all time in period over period. Also, there is a question mark next to Compare To. If you hover over that, it will let you know what piece you are missing to make it work.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Coming back to this.... Seriously, how do I create a simple bar line chart???? This should be so simple, yet I cannot figure this out and I don't understand what you're referring to with the Compare To,.

• MarkSnodgrass
    edited June 2022

Understanding comparison options

After selecting a period-over-period chart type in Analyzer and applying the desired columns to the x- and y-axes, you must specify 1) the time period you want to compare, and 2) the periods the selected time period is being compared to. You do this in the date filter menu, which is located above the chart preview near the chart name and description fields.

https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/article_attachments/360058782674/pop_filter_menu.png There was an error displaying this embed.

To enable period-over-period functionality in a chart, you must set options in three of the sub-menus in the date filter menu—Card date rangeCompare to, and chart by.

Card date range

In the Card date range menu, you select the primary time period you want to compare. For period-over-period to work, you should select a period from either the CurrentPrevious, or Next sections of the menu. If you select All Time or Between, the Compare to menu is grayed out and unavailable.

Compare to

In the Compare to menu, you specify the time period(s) the period you selected in Card date range is being compared to. For this menu to be available, all of the following criteria must apply:

• A period-over-period chart type must be selected in the Chart Picker.
    • A date/time column must be applied to your chart's x-axis.
    • Current, Previous or Next value must be selected in the Card date range menu.
    • The chart by menu must not be set to None.

Options may or may not be available in the Compare to menu, depending on the time period selected in Card date range and the date-time data available in your chart.

For any selectable period under Compare to, you can select any of the four most recent instances of that period. For example, if you selected This Month under Card date range and the current month was November 2016, and you then checked Month under Compare to, you would then be able to select any of the four months prior to November (July, August, September, or October) for comparison.

You can check Align By Day of Week options (if available) to show data for 4, 12, or 52 weeks previous to the period selected in Card date range.

Graph by

In the Graph by menu, you select how the chart data is to be broken down, timewise. For example, if you select Week, data points are shown for each week. This is sometimes called "date grain" and is discussed in more detail in Adding Filters to Your Chart.

You must select an option in Graph by for your period-over-period chart to work (otherwise, Compare to will not be available).

Full article: https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042924834-Period-over-Period-Charts

• **Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

• is the bar line chart only for comparing against prior time periods? I was wanting to display two different metrics. So one would be the bar and the other would be the line (with two separate Y-Axes).

• Ahh... you just need to change your chart type to Line Bar. Under Chart Types, choose Popular Charts and choose Line Bar.

• Okay... I switched to Line Bar. It looks the same... what do I do to create two Y-Axes?

• You still don't have the correct chart type selected. On the far right, under chart types click on the dropdown list that currently says "period over period" and choose "popular charts". You will then see a new list of charts. Choose Line Bar. Once you have that selected, drag a field to the y-axis and choose an aggregation type and then drag a field to the series and choose an aggregation type and drag a field to the x-axis (typically your date field).

• Wow... so they named two different charts the same name (not to mention the "bar line" chart which is a third type of chart). That's totally not confusing... lol. Thanks.

• Agreed. There are a few like that. You are certainly not the first to be confused and wonder why certain properties aren't there. It's definitely worth spending a few minutes and seeing what charts are available in each of the chart type categories as they function differently even if they have the same name.

• it depends on how your data is shaped but either you'll define a series as the secondary axis or i believe you can pass a measure as the secondary axis.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"