Simple Addition and Subtraction

Hi There, I am having trouble in returning correct values with a simple addition and

subtraction beast mode. It appears that any column with a blank value will not return a end value. And any row with values in all columns calculates properly. Any suggestions on how to calculate to consider blank values as zero value? Thanks

Beast mode calculation formula:

End Future Stock Balance:

`Total Stock`+`Total QTY to be delivered`-`Total fcst QTY`-`Total Reqmt QTY`

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

@Emma the IFNULL function is also useful for this and does the same thing. COALESCE is useful when you need to evaluate multiple fields before replacing with a single value. Here is what yours would look like with the IFNULL function:

IFNULL(`Total Stock`,0)+IFNULL(`Total QTY to be delivered`,0)-IFNULL(`Total fcst QTY`,0)-IFNULL(`Total Reqmt QTY`,0)

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• Hi @Emma

You can use the COALESCE function to default a null value to a specific value. It does this by selecting the first non-null value in the list of parameters given

COALESCE(`Total Stock`,0)+COALESCE(`Total QTY to be delivered`,0)-COALESCE(`Total fcst QTY`,0)-COALESCE(`Total Reqmt QTY`,0)

If you use simple arithmetic operators (+, -, *, /) with a null the end result is null because it doesn't know how to handle nulls.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Thank you @GrantSmith . You are wonderful, in all my google searches, this solution did not come up.

Best wishes for a lovely holiday.

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

@Emma the IFNULL function is also useful for this and does the same thing. COALESCE is useful when you need to evaluate multiple fields before replacing with a single value. Here is what yours would look like with the IFNULL function:

IFNULL(`Total Stock`,0)+IFNULL(`Total QTY to be delivered`,0)-IFNULL(`Total fcst QTY`,0)-IFNULL(`Total Reqmt QTY`,0)

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Glad this worked for you @Emma. Can you make sure to accept the answer so it's easier for others to find in the future? Thanks.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**