Views Explorer - Invalid query, check your DataSet schema

swagner
swagner Contributor

I have created a simple dataset view that I would like to use in another dataset view... when I attempt to open it in views explorer I am getting the error message:

"Invalid query, check your DataSet schema"

Suggestions on how to trouble shoot?

The steps I followed to created the dataset view:

1. Filter to exclude one value in a the 'Company' column (text)
  2. Add a custom column named "Attribute" with this as the entry 'Open AR' (text)
  3. Group on the two fields above, SUM 'Open Amount' column (decimal)
  4. Rename 'Open Amount' - 'Value
  5. Rename 'Company' - 'Business Unit'

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

@swagner Just watched someone encounter the same error as you. They fixed it by removing the group by column and then adding it back. Renaming the column does seem to be problematic though.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

@swagner Just watched someone encounter the same error as you. They fixed it by removing the group by column and then adding it back. Renaming the column does seem to be problematic though.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • swagner
    swagner Contributor

@MarkSnodgrass that worked! thank you sir!

• swagner
    swagner Contributor

• WizardOz
    WizardOz Contributor

I just encoutered this issue - I added a fitler today and saved the file. Then I wanted to remove the new fiter I jut setup. it showed first my filters became cal_col1 and cal_col 2 and asking me remove the references. I deleted the fitlers, tried to reset it up, but now it shows the above error and I could not do anything. Please help. This is urgent.

Thank you

• swagner
    swagner Contributor

@WizardOz probably worth contacting your CSM if this is an urgent problem. My experience so far with Dataset Views is that they are a bit temperamental and quirky. I'm also finding that there is a specific order in which you should do things. Doing any Group By steps last is something I try to do which has caused less errors.

• WizardOz
    WizardOz Contributor

Thank you @swagner . I also found that View Explorer is unreliable :( and causing problems to down stream users

• swagner
    swagner Contributor

@WizardOz what kind of issues are your users having? So far for me, once you get through the learning curve Dataset Views are a great tool. Opening up some great possibilities for my use case. Let me know if you'd like to have a call to discuss. Sometimes "customer to customer" is a good way to figure things out. Happy to help where I can.

• @WizardOz

Have you tried removing all of your groupings and filters and then reapplying them?

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**