Weird/Random Question about the date filter.

I have a card that is a POP trendline and is comparing current year to the previous 2 years aggregating by month

You can see that in the current month (September) there is a drop off from August because it is an incomplete month. Is there a way to show the card in this same view but just not display an incomplete current month? Possibly by using the date filter or by writing a beast mode that could be used as a filter so the most recent data would be the complete previous month?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

You could write a beast mode like this to exclude the current month

(CASE WHEN MONTH(`date`) = MONTH(CURDATE()) and YEAR(`date`) = YEAR(CURDATE()) then 'Exclude'
     Else 'Include' END)

Then just add this to your filters and choose Include

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

You could write a beast mode like this to exclude the current month

(CASE WHEN MONTH(`date`) = MONTH(CURDATE()) and YEAR(`date`) = YEAR(CURDATE()) then 'Exclude'
     Else 'Include' END)

Then just add this to your filters and choose Include

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • I'm not good at Beast Modes. So, I personally would just set the date range in the top right corner to stop on August 31st if it's available. 😅

The downside is that you have to remember to adjust the range at the start of each month. 🤔

• I’m going to add my two cents for a date offset dimension table. It will allow you to compare the same amount of days for the current month for the prior period avoiding the potential dip you can see when comparing the current incomplete month. I’ve done a prior write up about this here: https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Card-Building/show-percent-on-period-over-period-graph/m-p/50540/highlight/true#M7313

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**