Notification of DataFlow and DataSet Processing Failures

I'd like Domo to notify our admin team's Google Chat or mailing list when a DataFlow and DataSet fails to process.

I know that it can be configured in "Notifications" from the top right corner of each DataSet, but I don't think it is possible to notify any email address other than the owner.

I have also not found a webhook connector for Google Chat.

Does anyone have a good solution in practice?

Best Answers

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@Tow ,

create an account in Domo whose email is a service account / distribution list, ex BI_DistorList@yourcompany.com

then make that account the owner of all your important dataset and dataflow assets.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@Tow just fail a few datasets and then run the governance dataset :P but i believe FAILED and ERROR and maybe SUSPENDED are some of the various states.

Alternatively, just filter for NOT SUCCESS.

Jae Wilson

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Ashleigh
    Ashleigh Coach
    Answer ✓

I agree with Jae, try building a new dataflow and then add something in the tiles that will force it to fail that way you have some data to play around with.

Right now I have a card setup called "Non Successful dataflows" which filters on Last Execution State = Failed and run state != to disabled (I track disabled flows separately).

My filter also has Last Execution State = Failed_data_flow, Killed, Skipped, and Rejected but I don't have any of those right now so not sure if they are still used.

If you don't have any failed now it may also be a good idea to filter when its not successful or running so when a new category does show up you can check it out. Then you can add a summary number to it and set an alert for when the summary number increases.

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

Answers

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@Tow ,

create an account in Domo whose email is a service account / distribution list, ex BI_DistorList@yourcompany.com

then make that account the owner of all your important dataset and dataflow assets.

Jae Wilson

• Thank you @jaeW_at_Onyx for your advice. It sounds a simple and good solution.

I will give it a try.

• @Tow you could also use the Domostats or Domo Governance metadata and create a card to show all failed datasets or dataflows. I have one that emails me as soon as a dataflow fails and then since its in a card its easy to keep track of all the failed things rather then having to go search for all the emails. Its not as realtime as a notification on a dataset though, mine usually update once a day.

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• Thank you very much, @Ashleigh. I have tried both Domostats and Domo Governance. It seems to be useful. I am trying to use the Connector to create DataSets and monitor their state.

For my purposes, it might be possible to monitor Last Execution Failed or Last Execution State in Domo Governance, but I haven't succeeded yet in setting up an alert because I don't know what Values will be returned.

Do you know of a reference where I can find a list of Values?

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@Tow just fail a few datasets and then run the governance dataset :P but i believe FAILED and ERROR and maybe SUSPENDED are some of the various states.

Alternatively, just filter for NOT SUCCESS.

Jae Wilson

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh Coach
    Answer ✓

I agree with Jae, try building a new dataflow and then add something in the tiles that will force it to fail that way you have some data to play around with.

Right now I have a card setup called "Non Successful dataflows" which filters on Last Execution State = Failed and run state != to disabled (I track disabled flows separately).

My filter also has Last Execution State = Failed_data_flow, Killed, Skipped, and Rejected but I don't have any of those right now so not sure if they are still used.

If you don't have any failed now it may also be a good idea to filter when its not successful or running so when a new category does show up you can check it out. Then you can add a summary number to it and set an alert for when the summary number increases.

• @Ashleigh and @jaeW_at_Onyx, thank you for your helpful comments.

I'll try it in my sandbox account, as I don't have any history of failures at the moment and my environment is not conducive to creating a test DataSet.