How can we see Instagram followers with the Instagram connector?

We recently were able to connect with the Instagram business connector in hopes of making an organic social media dashboard but found that there was only a 30 day look back window for followers? Has anyone else run into this? Are there any workarounds with third party connectors that we can use? I find it hard to believe that this wouldn't be a function in DOMO as i've been able to do this with other very basic social reporting tools.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

@DanielA

If you could accept my answer as a solution so that others can more easily find this question and solution if they're having similar issues I'd appreciate it.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

That's because you can only build it going forward, you can't historically go back and get the data because of the API limitation allowing only the last 30 days. You'd start building your history today so that in the future you have it for your analysis.

Answers

• Hi @Daneia

I believe this is a limitation with the Instagram API and not Domo itself. Typically what I will do in cases like this is to take weekly or monthly snapshots of my account metrics to see then data change over time but it lacks historical data because of the API limitations.

I’ll use either a recursive data flow it I don’t want the possibility of duplicate records or the dataset copy connector set to append and copy the main Instagram dataset on a set schedule

https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043436533-DataSet-Copy-DataSet-Connector

https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043428113-Creating-a-Recursive-Snapshot-Magic-ETL-DataFlow

https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360057087393-Creating-a-Recursive-Snapshot-DataFlow-in-Magic-ETL-v2-Beta-

• That's what I was figuring the work around would but was hoping for a less manual process. Thank you! @GrantSmith

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

@DanielA

If you could accept my answer as a solution so that others can more easily find this question and solution if they're having similar issues I'd appreciate it.

• Hey @GrantSmith so I tried pulling the data back from 1/1/2021 - 1/29/2021 to start getting historical data to then build the recursive but I'm still getting the error saying "Domo is ready, but Instagram reported an error: (#100) (follower_count) metric only supports querying data for the last 30 days excluding the current day". I think this didn't work is because the API is using the current day no matter the date range I selected when it comes to the "follower count" metric and only that one. I'm able to pull historical data with all other metrics just not "follower count".

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

That's because you can only build it going forward, you can't historically go back and get the data because of the API limitation allowing only the last 30 days. You'd start building your history today so that in the future you have it for your analysis.