Creating a new column

Liliana
Liliana Member
edited March 2023 in Datasets

Hi all- I am having some issue separating a column.

My data set has the payors in the same column and I need to create a separate column for each payor. Can someone please help ?

Thank you

Answers

• Hi @Liliana

have you tried using a pivot table and pivoting on your payor type field if you’re just wanting to display it in a table?

If you’re wanting to do it in your data set you can utilize a pivot tile in magic ETL

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • You could use a pivot table and put invoice payor type as a column and that would create a column for each.

You could also use Magic ETL to pivot the data using the Uncollapse Columns tile. See this KB article:

https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043427353-Magic-ETL-Tiles-Edit-Columns#11.

You could also create multiple beast mode, 3 for each payor type to do it.

Using the pivot table card would be the easiest.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Thanks Grant and Mark, it worked. Appreciate your help and quick response.

• @Liliana i strongly recommend against using Magic to uncollapse the data. if a new payer shows up your dataaflow will exclude them, b/c you haven't enumerated them.

Pivot Table is a safe solution but becomes unwieldy as you get more and more payers. What's the question you're trying to answer?

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks, Jae I need to track payment by insurance and patients. I created the ETL , unpivot the data then created a table in SQL to bring some information over that I was not able to get in ETL. It worked with the unpivot as Grant and Mark recommended. However, now I am trying to create a total paid column (patient paid plus insurance paid) and it is giving me a cumulative amount. Not the correct balance per row.

This is how my columns look now.

Thank you!