Using Select Columns to reorder columns in Magic ETL

In Magic ETL, a Select Columns tile was inserted just prior to the Output Dataset tile in order to reorder columns. The columns in the resulting Output Dataset were not in the order specified in the Select Columns tile.

Is there something else that needs to be considered so that the column order is retained in the Output Dataset?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

That is the correct way to do it. Sometimes, there is a delay in the output dataset seeing the new column order. Try refreshing your browser when looking at the data. You might also try adding an additional column temporarily in your select columns tile and verify that the output dataset display is seeing it.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

That is the correct way to do it. Sometimes, there is a delay in the output dataset seeing the new column order. Try refreshing your browser when looking at the data. You might also try adding an additional column temporarily in your select columns tile and verify that the output dataset display is seeing it.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Thank you. In this instance, the new column order didn't appear to get reflected in the output dataset, even after refreshing. We set the column order via the dataset schema, however.

Appreciate your answer, and will use your suggestions in the future.

• not entirely sure why you need to change the sort order on columns ... but you could also consider using DataSet Views to reorder columns. it will be more performant than just running ETL to change column order.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks. The column reordering step was just one step of a larger ETL. Appreciate the feedback regarding DataSet Views.