Quarter Filter On a dashboard

Hello,

I need to add a filter that contains the list of quarters in the data.

I can get the quarters to show in the card by using a beast mode QUARTER (Date Range), but am not able to get the quarter to show in the shared filters as a drop down list of values. The beast mode is shared to the data set.

Quarters shown on the card:

All the shared filter shows is a min of 1 and max of 4, which is not exactly what i need. Ideally I would have a list of:

2019-Q2

2019-Q3

2019-Q4

etc...

Thoughts on how I can add a list of quarters to the filter?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

You can mimic the date range quarter display by using CONCAT in a beast mode like this:

CONCAT(YEAR(`dt`),'-Q',QUARTER(`dt`))

If this is applied to all your datasets, then this should work as a shared filter.

The other option would be to use the date field that is driving your date range as your shared filter and use the between condition in the range. This would require people to enter in the start and end dates, so it may not be ideal for you.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Essentially yes. Domo does supply a Dates dataset in the Domo Dimensions connector which gives you a list of dates as a starting point you can modify with a view or ETL to do additional processing / adding of columns to.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

You can mimic the date range quarter display by using CONCAT in a beast mode like this:

CONCAT(YEAR(`dt`),'-Q',QUARTER(`dt`))

If this is applied to all your datasets, then this should work as a shared filter.

The other option would be to use the date field that is driving your date range as your shared filter and use the between condition in the range. This would require people to enter in the start and end dates, so it may not be ideal for you.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Depending on when your quarters start you might want to think about using a date dimension table which has your quarters defined if it doesn’t start on Q1=Jan-Mar. You can use a view to join this date dimension table to your dataset and then pull in the quarter from your date dimension table.

• Hi,

Thank you for the answers.

The Concat worked for what I needed.

For the date dimension table, would that be a static spreadsheet that I load into Domo and then join to whichever data flow requires?

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Essentially yes. Domo does supply a Dates dataset in the Domo Dimensions connector which gives you a list of dates as a starting point you can modify with a view or ETL to do additional processing / adding of columns to.

• @mlanterma

1) yes, you can upload your date dimension as a spreadsheet and then add it to your dataflows.

2) you can generate one in MySQL with the columns you need (this is what I implement for clients)

3) you can use the Date Dimension as @GrantSmith recommended.

No matter which method you adopt, the point is to create one place where you implement the logic that you need for all your date-based calculations. This way you don't have to keep implementing the same logic in each of your cards in analyzer, it's just part of the data.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"