Excluding null values when using rank function in beast mode

I used "rank() over (order by asc)" in the beast mode, but I am getting blank rows on the top, followed by the correct rank

. Is there a way to exclude the null values when using the rank function?

Answers

• Hi @user069636

Are you doing any sorting on your card? Would filtering out records with NULLs in your card work for you?

Are you just not wanting a rank if the value is null? If that's the case you could do something like:

CASE WHEN `field` IS NOT NULL THEN RANK() OVER (ORDER BY `field` ASC) END

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • user069636
    user069636 Member
    edited June 2021

Hi @GrantSmith,

With your recommendation, I was able to remove the ranking numbers for the categories that had null values. But they are still on the top of the table. I cant filter out records with null values because the aggregation isn't supported in filters.

• Have you put your beast mode into the sort section of your card to sort based on the rank? That'll put the ones that are blank at the bottom (you may need to revert back to your old beast mode).

• @GrantSmith I have tried sorting for both the old one and the new one but they are still showing on the top.

• You could add another beastmode to check for null values and filter on that. Something like

CASE WHEN `PW Sales` is NULL then 'no value' else 'value' end

You could then add this field to your filters and filter for 'value'

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • I cant use that as a filter because 'PW Sales' contains uses aggregated function. 😭

• @user06963

There is a beta which allows for filtering on aggregates. You can start a conversation with your CSM to see about getting into the beta.

• @GrantSmith That's good to know. Thank you for your help!