Drill Down From Summary To Detail Records

I know how to use different tables on cards when drilling down. My question is around handling drill downs from a summary table on the first layer/card to a detail table when drilling down to a second layer.

The summary table holds KPI's such as # of created requests by month, # closed requests by month, # active request by month, delivery date attainment, etc. Each summary record was derived using multiple detail records and holds the detail record keys in comma delimited text field. My guess is there isn't an easy way of doing this but I'd like to create a card using the summary table but drill down into the detail table showing which detail records make up the summary record.

I know I could have built the card using the detail file, eliminating use of the summary table, and drill down would be easy, however, the summary table comes from another tool (ServiceNow) that we use to track our work and I need the Domo cards to match what users see in that tool (ServiceNow).

Thanks

Answers

• You can use different datasets in your drill path. They just need to contain the same field that is being drilled into. Here is a note from this KB article that may help.

Notes: 1) The new DataSet must contain the same category and series column name(s) you filtered off of in the original DataSet. The column data should also be the same; however, the column in the second DataSet may contain additional data items not found in the original DataSet. Value columns you have filtered off of in the original DataSet do not need to be present in the second DataSet. For more information about category, series, and value columns, see Understanding Chart Data.  2) If your DataSet contains more than one sheet and you want to connect to the data in another sheet, you must first re-upload the DataSet, being sure to select that sheet in the Review your Data dialog. This creates a new DataSet that you can connect to like any other DataSet.

For your KPI card, test drilling into the card and see what Domo is filtering on. This will tell you which column needs to be in drill path dataset.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Hi @user005531

If your data is summarized and you're not able to drill down correctly you might look into utilizing pfilters and a hyperlink to go directly to a different card and have it automatically filtered.

You may find these helpful:

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Thanks @GrantSmith. Are pfilters something you would only use when embedding Domo cards on a non-Domo "page"? Is it possible to use pfilters within a Domo page? The thought is I could have a card showing the summarized KPI date, such as # of created requests in a given month and when a user clicks a specific month/value a second card on the same page would auto filter to show the detail records included in that summary record. For example, the summary record could show there were 500 requests created in April, 350 in May, etc and when clicking on the 500 in April a second card would automatically filter to show the individual 500 records?

• You can use them on Domo pages and dashboards. It'd take you to a separate card and not drill directly in place / filter your dataset on that dashboard.

• Do you have any articles that explain how to set up a pfilter? I've used page filters on dashboards (such as a Slicer) to control page content but what I'd need to do here is take the ID from the summary card/record and find any detail record that contains that ID. A detail record can be linked to multiple summary record IDs held within a comma delimited text field.

• Using Pfilters to Apply Filters from URL Query Parameters to Embedded Dashboards

This knowledge base article outlines the process and the format of the pfilter get parameter in your URL.