Domo and GitHub

faisalnjit
faisalnjit Member
edited March 2023 in Scheduled Reports

Hello All, We have recently bought Domo and they gave us one instance of it....

Trying to see how can we use GitHub and do PR etc to deploy stuff.. Does Domo has something like this to manage deployments. If I have one Page with 5 cards, Can I have production copy of it and somehow get dev version of it to do future enhancements and update production version of pages and cards.

Answers

• There is not a direct integration for pull requests, but you may be able to leverage the Domo CLI tool to pull of what you want to do. It is located in the Admin - Tool Downloads section of your Domo instance. You can read the KB article about the tool here.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Hi Mark, I was more on how I make sure that a page which has cards currently used productively is not interrupted, while i am trying to enhance layout of the page, fixing bugs or enhancing the CARDS. In short best method to setup dev/prod kind of environment.

• @faisalnjit if you haven't installed the Domo Governance/Domo Stats cards and datasets in your instance, I would encourage you to do that. This will help you see which pages and cards are being viewed the most and which users are accessing them the most.

As far as dev vs prod, I don't think there is one set best practice, but often people will label datasets as DEV_datasetname, PROD_datasetname to help card designers know which datasets to use. On pages, you can set up Dev pages and only give access to certain people and then move them over to prod pages when it looks good.

There is also a certification process you can require in your instance to have a more formalized process in ensuring the data and cards are ready for production. That is found under Admin - Certified Content.

Hope this helps.

• Hi Mark , thanks for your valuable input.. Only comment I wanted to make was, when Page is given access to people and its prod.. I need to make some change in it. What will i do? I dont want to make changes and a version which is currently seen by production users...

Also when you say "move them over to prod pages" , what exactly did you mean by setting up Dev and Prod pages?

• @faisalnjit When you add a new page, you can decide which users can access which pages, this allows you to create page that is only viewable by people that are in charge of creating cards. This would be a development, or "dev", page. When a card is ready for production, or "prod", you can move that card to a page that your intended audience can see.

• @MarkSnodgrass , I have one landing page with few link and images.. It is seen by production users.. I was asked to enhance this landing page.. I made copy and worked on enhancements. Now If I remove access from old landing page and give users access to new landing page, what about those users who bookmarked old landing page..

Similarly if users have subscribed to alerts using old visualization card and I replace that card with new card and revoke access from old card, how will this work?

• @faithscent

Domo now offers a new product called "Sandbox" which does what you're looking for where you can promote pages to "production". You can talk with your CSM to get a demo of it. It is a premium feature so it'll be an extra charge. You can read more about it here: https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403367344023-Domo-Sandbox

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**