Preserving Rich Text Formatting from Jira

My team is leveraging a Domo Workbench connection into a on-premise Jira instance. Jira allows rich text formatting in many of the fields that we need, and I'd like to preserve that when I display the data in Domo text cards. I can see the patterns in formatting when I compare my Jira input to my Domo card (ex: [text] = _ + [text] + _, where text = * + [text] + *), but I can't figure how to to find the pattern and then apply specific formatting to the text in between. See attached for a comparison.

Can I do this via RegEx commands in Magic ETL - or is there an easier way in SQL? If RegEx, would I need to do a series of RegEx commands (1 for italics, 1 for bold) applied to every field where I'd want to have the card presented with the formatting?

I appreciate any help the user community could provide to me.

Answers

• Hi @user028768

You can use the replace text tile with a regex. You can perform a regex on multiple different columns in the same tile but you'd need a tile for each formatting. The other thing to note is that the text cards typically don't support any text formatting with the exception of the HTML table using HTML code.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Thanks for the response here, @GrantSmith . I'm trying to reconcile your first statement ("you can perform regex" + "need a tile for each formatting") with your second statement ("text cards typically don't support any text formatting"). Are you indicating that I can use regex to change the data in Magic ETL, but it may be a moot point because the formatting will be ignored when displayed onto a text card?

• @user028768

Correct. You can change the data in Magic ETL however you won't be able to make much use of it within a Card in domo because it won't interpret the formatting and just treat it as text.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    edited February 2021

@user028768 ,

It looks like your text is actually MarkDown formatted... which is not the same as HTML and if it were me I would google and see if there are any other developers who've writtend out regex to convert MD to HTML tags.

Or maybe I'd run the data through a python package and then push it to Domo (via APIs)

regarding your numbers i guess if you do a sum(amount) you could wrap it in html tags. But Domo may have broken that functionality recently...

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • @GrantSmith , @jaeW_at_Onyx - Thank you both for taking the time to respond and provide insights. I will dig further with the direction that you have provided.

• @GrantSmith , @jaeW_at_Onyx Whats interesting to me is the airtable cloud integration displays correctly in Domo when using Markdown enabled in Airtable.

I linked two screenshots for reference. Also, If I copy the text from the Domo table card I see the following when I paste in Apple Notes:

1. Fighting with suppliers for many request to increase price of purchase – 4%\n2. Late delivery date confirmed from Hydraulic Suppliers\n3. Short Time working in production , supported by Government (on a low level)\n4. Prototype New T300.4 is in Test Period, as well as the ST31\n5. Lead Time growth (also because of internal orders between RM and the Group companies) \n\n

- Test\n- Test\n- Test\n- Test\n- Test\n- Test\n

• Domo HTML Charts will display content that's been encoded with HTML tags. Mega Charts support some HTML encoding. I believe Pivot Tables support the least amount of HTML encoding.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"