Important: Lifecycle of a domo created contents

faisalnjit
faisalnjit Member
edited March 2023 in Scheduled Reports

Hello All, I am new to Domo. We have only one instance. I wanted to ask you how you have managed overall lifecycle of the created contents in Domo.

Example : I developed one dataset/view in domo and 5 cards and I shared those cards to Biz team via story. Now enhancement requests come in which require dataset/view change and may be some changes in some cards which are live..

While enhancing, I will need to modify dataset and cards. How do I make sure that while dataset needs some changes, I am not impacting current usability of the story/cards.

In-short how do we deploy new changes, enhancements and bug fixes to existing development without impacting users.

Answers

• Hi @faisalnjit

Domo has a connector called Third Party Data Governance. There's a lot of helpful and useful information as they have datasets for the Cards, Pages, Datasets etc within Domo and how they interact with others. Here's a KB article outlining the connector: https://knowledge.domo.com/Connect/Connecting_to_Data_with_Connectors/Configuring_Each_Connector/Connectors_for_Analytics/Domo_Governance_Datasets_Connector

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • We have a landing page that directs our users to different KPI's by clicking on links. When we need to make changes, we simply create a new page and modify the content there. When it is ready to get "pushed to production", we simply redirect the link on our landing page to the new content and post a message about what was changed in the newest release. We can then "archive" the old content by removing user access to the pages and cards.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • Hi, Thank you for the reply... But question is what if there are some schedules and people subscribed alerts to that card, then what would you do in that case. Will we expect them to re-do alert subscriptions?

• @faisalnjit

it's not great. Domo did not design dev ops into their product.

you can manage alerts for users using the CLI.

If it were me, i would use a DSV (dataset view) as a semantic layer between the data and the cards. The DSV would never change, but you could swap in new datasets as necessary.

Alternatively, you can do it in the ETL layer. Make a copy of the dataflow call it _DEV, work out the kinks. and then when it's ready copy the dataflow over to the production dataflow.

CrystalBallers, Andrew Chaffin <andrew@crystalballers.ai>, have built a custom app for managing devops. It might be interesting to have a conversation with them.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"