Capturing datetime of updates

I have a table which has 'Update Datetime' column. As soon there is a request for work, this column is updated. I can easily create a recursive and keep track of all tasks with updated datetimes (timeline). The problem is that as soon the task is complete, this same column changed and shows the complete task datetime. So I would say column name is distracting here. It is Update Datetime and completed Datetime in same col. I do have a flag which changes when task is complete from 0 to 1. Is there any way, I can capture all updated datetimes before the value changed in that column to complete datetime? I can then create a recursive and keep track of timeline for each task.

Comments

• @jaeW_at_Onyx Any suggestions!!!

• You should be able to do a recursive dataflow on this pretty easily and store the datetime for the task at different flags. When you join the new data with the recursive data, join it on task ID AND flag. This will allow you store the task datetime when the flag is 0 and then, in a new row, the task datetime when the flag is 1.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Thanks @MarkSnodgrass . I will try to create a recursive as per you instructed and update you.

• @user13374 ,

problem with recursives is that it will take snapshots when the data updates.

so usually you'd do an "End of Day" or "Start of Day" snapshot. If the task changed multiple times throughout the day you'd only get one row per day.

Frame your requirements in terms of the business question.

It could be "what was the state of the work log at the end of each day."

or it oculd be "how quickly do we close each task?"

then figure out what level of detail is important, if most tasks take several days or weeks to finish, then capturing an EOD snapshot makes sense.

if most tasks take less than a day to finish, you need an update model that will update more regularly.

webhooks are a better connector method than REST API for the later requirement if your system supports them

Webhooks are the same underpinnings of the likes of Zapier and IFTTT

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks @jaeW_at_Onyx . Business in interested to know the datetime and number of changes on each task. It may change multiple times a day or some tasks are bigger then it may take more than a day. I think, it will be frequently updating dataset to capture all change's datetime.