Timestamp Convention in JSON File from Command Line DataFlow Request

walker_page
walker_page Member
edited March 2021 in APIs & Domo Developer

My question: Does anyone know DOMO's timestamp convention and how these map to normal timing conventions?

Background: I am using DOMO's command line tool to get JSON structured metadata about a DataFlow. Specifically, I am using the list-dataflow command:

Putting in the DataFlow id and a filepath returns a json file to that filepath. Within the json file, there are various time data, such as the following:

I cannot figure out how these time data map to normal time conventions. Can anyone help with this?

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @walker_page

These are unix timestamps. Typically they are jut a simple numerical representation of the seconds since Jan 1st, 1970 however in this case these are unix timestamps in milliseconds instead of seconds (just divid the number by 1000 to get the number of seconds). Language have tools to convert these easily just depends on the flavor of language you're using. There's also online tools to help you convert these to standard format like https://www.unixtimestamp.com

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• @GrantSmith will know the answer to this one.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @walker_page

These are unix timestamps. Typically they are jut a simple numerical representation of the seconds since Jan 1st, 1970 however in this case these are unix timestamps in milliseconds instead of seconds (just divid the number by 1000 to get the number of seconds). Language have tools to convert these easily just depends on the flavor of language you're using. There's also online tools to help you convert these to standard format like https://www.unixtimestamp.com

• @GrantSmith Related to this, how are datetime properties that show up in the dataflow gui determined (e.g. the 'Saved At' values in the Versions tab, or the 'Start Time' and 'End Time' values in the History tab)? Are they based on the local time zone of the user who created the dataflow?

• @walker_page

My understanding is that they should be based on the company timezone settings of your domo instance (defined under the admin section)

• @walker_page and @GrantSmith I would test the assumption that the datat are in Company Time.

Domo's presentation layer should present all times according to the Company settings (Analyzer, Dataflow last executed etc); however, AFAIK the data is actually stored in UTC (which makes sense for clients that opt to change Company times).

AND most API exchanges assume data is being received in UTC ... so ... it seems reasonable to assume the data leaving Domo via API is also in UTF>

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"