User access levels for drill path layers

Please let me know if it is possible to set up different user access levels for drill paths layers.

Scenario:

A card on shared page consists of a bar graph with company-wide term count by location, and a single drill path layer has been set up with a table to display the employee names along with other pertinent fields.

While all users with access to this page/card should have access to company wide data, I would like to limit how much underlying data is accessible when drilling down. (This is not a PDP issue since it's not about restricting data based on fields such as department code, business unit, etc.)

Desired action:

Users Group A: Full access to fields which were selected for this drill path layer, Users Group B: Access to some fields only. Users Group C: No ability to drill down. They should see only see the bar graph; no access to underlying data.

Thank you!

Best Answers

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

@serendipity This is an interesting use case. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any ability to limit field access or to define a user specific drill path. I wanted to comment, though, because I want to make sure to follow along and hear any solution that is offered. This may end up being a feature request though.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @serendipity

@ST_-Superman-_ is correct. This functionality doesn’t exist currently especially since you’re wanting to conditionally trigger the drill path action based on your data. I’d recommend putting in a feature request for this type of functionality. The only possibility I would see is to utilize PDP to restrict access to the columns in the drill path but for your group C it would still allow access to the drill path but it would be empty.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @serendipity

@ST_-Superman-_ is correct. This functionality doesn’t exist currently especially since you’re wanting to conditionally trigger the drill path action based on your data. I’d recommend putting in a feature request for this type of functionality. The only possibility I would see is to utilize PDP to restrict access to the columns in the drill path but for your group C it would still allow access to the drill path but it would be empty.

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@serendipity ,

technically, @GrantSmith and @ST_-Superman-_ are correct, but you do still have options / hacks.

1) build your initial card on a dataset view of aggregated data. apply PDP policies as appropriate.

2) when you create a drill path, you can reference the original dataset, OR point to a completely different dataset. Create a second DSV at a second layer of aggregation as appropriate, and again, control PDP. you can choose to allow Group A and Group B to see DSV 2 but NOT Group C.

3) when you create a drill path you can decide whether or now you allow drill down to the row level, or if drilling stops on a card. depending on desired outcome that can make the creation of a separate DSV superflouous.

Side note. this gets messy fast. usually people assume a card will drill to the same dataset ... when it doesn't then you get problems when you migrate to a new dataset or need to start maintaining beast modes in two places... but it works.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

@serendipity This is an interesting use case. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any ability to limit field access or to define a user specific drill path. I wanted to comment, though, because I want to make sure to follow along and hear any solution that is offered. This may end up being a feature request though.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • Thank you very much@ST_-Superman-_ !

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @serendipity

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @serendipity

• Thank you very much @GrantSmith!

• Thank you very much @GrantSmith!

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@serendipity ,

technically, @GrantSmith and @ST_-Superman-_ are correct, but you do still have options / hacks.

1) build your initial card on a dataset view of aggregated data. apply PDP policies as appropriate.

2) when you create a drill path, you can reference the original dataset, OR point to a completely different dataset. Create a second DSV at a second layer of aggregation as appropriate, and again, control PDP. you can choose to allow Group A and Group B to see DSV 2 but NOT Group C.

3) when you create a drill path you can decide whether or now you allow drill down to the row level, or if drilling stops on a card. depending on desired outcome that can make the creation of a separate DSV superflouous.

Side note. this gets messy fast. usually people assume a card will drill to the same dataset ... when it doesn't then you get problems when you migrate to a new dataset or need to start maintaining beast modes in two places... but it works.

Jae Wilson

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • serendipity
    serendipity Member
    edited March 2021

Thank you very much @jaeW_at_Onyx. All of your Domo videos are incredibly informative so I am thrilled and grateful to have heard from you with your hack. I will give this a try although I can imagine it getting messy, as you've already pointed out. There are several cards like this on my dashboard--with similar but slightly different needs-- so it makes my head spin thinking of how each need to be adjusted to incorporate your suggested approach. LOL. Thank you again.

• @serendipity if it were my requirement, I would have two separate cards for two different audiences. (AND still apply PDP as necessary).

Also, check in with your CSM, I believe Domo were working on column based PDP but I don't know how far they got on that.

Jae Wilson

• Thank you @jaeW_at_Onyx

I have 2 separate dashboards set up for now since it turns out that we do not have Dataset view enabled.

And yes, a column based PDP would be of tremendous help, and I hope it is offered to us at some point! Thank you again! 😀