how to visualize

Hello

I have time and date of equipement use and I want to visualize when they are running.

For example something like a calendar; weekly based or graph bar with hours on Y value from 7 am to 7 pm and a bar showing if the equipment was used or not.

Data are date/time of start and date/time of end usage for each equipment.

Don't know how to/what to use.

Thanks

Best regards

Best Answers

• Stephane
    Stephane Member
    Answer ✓

Hello Grant

Thanks for the answer.

I did what you suggest and it works

I used 15min slice; a bit long to write the tel but worth the case

Also can do an other one now with less granularity and make a drill graph to see detail...

Thanks again

Best regards

Stephane

• Stephane
    Stephane Member
    Answer ✓

Sorry, didn't noticed the small yes on the bottom.

😀

Answers

• @user009257

instead of worrying about the chart type, maybe draw out on paper what this viz should ook like, and also what you're trying to communicate.

Are you trying to measure utilization rates? if so, a table card of equipment with daily utilization expressed as a percentage might be more effective than a bunch of lines.

how many pieces of equipment do you have? if you have more than 4, having one bar per day would be 4* 7 bars... that's kind of hard to read and extract value from.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Hi @user009257

If you're wanting to graph when the equipment is being used the current format won't get you want you're looking for. You'd need to instead slice your data to state "at this time I was in use". You can do this using an ETL to modify your data. You'd need to define how granular you want your slices to be but sounds like hourly is what you're looking for.

For example:

Machine 1 | 2021-02-15 8:30 AM | 2021-02-15 9:45 AM |

Would become:

Machine | Hour | Active

Machine 1 | 2021-02-15 07:00 AM | 0

Machine 1 | 2021-02-15 08:00 AM | 1

Machine 1 | 2021-02-15 09:00 AM | 1

Machine 1 | 2021-02-15 10:00 AM | 0

As for graphing you could use a calendar type chart to get a heat map of how often the machine is running or you could utilize a bar chart with the hour on the axis (depending on if you want the specific date or the run time bucketed into the hour number of the day)

Another option might be a Flex Table which would get you a graph of activity but also allow you to have additional data numbers next to the graph displayed.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Stephane
    Stephane Member
    Answer ✓

Hello Grant

Thanks for the answer.

I did what you suggest and it works

I used 15min slice; a bit long to write the tel but worth the case

Also can do an other one now with less granularity and make a drill graph to see detail...

Thanks again

Best regards

Stephane

• Hey @Stephane

I'm glad it worked for you. Can you make sure to accept my answer so others can easily find the solution if they have a similar issue?

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Stephane
    Stephane Member
    Answer ✓

Sorry, didn't noticed the small yes on the bottom.

😀