Cumulative Count by Month

I am looking to obtain a count of all dates that are less than each month on a table. Please see attachment for reference. In other words, I need a cumulative count of how many enrollments the company has so far going into each month.

The 2019-Dec line should count all dates less than 12/1/2019

The 2020-Jan line should count all dates less than 1/1/2020

The 2020-Feb line should count all dates less than 2/1/2020

and so on...

Is there some way to dynamically reference the date of each line? Almost like curdate, but the date of each line instead.

I hope I have explained this adequately. Thank you in advance for any help I receive.

Comments

• You could use a Running Total card to automatically build the cumulative totals for you. You could also create a beast mode called DisplayDate (or whatever makes sense to you) that just has a AddDate function in it that would display the next months name instead of the month it is in. This function would do it

ADDDATE(`Date Entrolled`, interval 1 month)

If you don't want to use a Running Total card, you would need to use the Rank & Window Functions in Magic ETL to build the cumulative total.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • If you have window functions enabled in your instance you could do this via a windowed function in a Beast Mode instead of a running total card:

SUM(SUM(1)) OVER (ORDER BY `Date`)

And then utilize @MarkSnodgrass 's solution about adding a month to the date for display purposes via another beast mode.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • @GrantSmith wrote:

If you have window functions enabled in your instance you could do this via a windowed function in a Beast Mode instead of a running total card:

SUM(SUM(1)) OVER (ORDER BY `Date`)

And then utilize @MarkSnodgrass 's solution about adding a month to the date for display purposes via another beast mode.

If you want to count by month then just alter @GrantSmith  SQL:

SUM(SUM(1)) OVER (GROUP BY date_format(`DATE`, '%Y%m') ORDER BY `Date`)

In order for it to work, you'll need to have year-month on the axis.  

This technique we're introducing is called 'Window Functions' check out the video below for more information!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnc6gMKZ9R8&t=316s

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Dear @jaeW_at_Onyx , how do i know if Windows Function is enable on my instance ?

• @user025461 , contact your Domo CSM or sales representative and ask them to enable the feautre: "window functions in beast mode"

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"