Card which can have values like day, week, month and automatically x axis changes in a trend chart

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if we can build a card which can provide values like day, week, month and automatically x axis format changes in a trend chart upon respective selection.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hi @user037924 

You can't dynamically change chart properties based on your data. If you'd want to do something like that you might be able to write a custom app to handle this specific scenario but based on how Domo works it's currently not possible.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • You could restructure your data such that you have the same data duplicated for days years months etc, you could theoretically filter on a column called 'period type' and then filter for day, month, year ...

what exactly do you want to accomplish.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Hi @jaeW_at_Onyx ,

Thanks for replying.

The data that i use is huge, so duplicating it would be slightly problematic. However, what I am trying to accomplish is when the user selects "day", then the x axis in a heat map or flex chart should show values at day level (the screenshot below). If that can be accomplished then the user would require one more filter card which would have values say from 1-10, to select the number of days that the user wants to see on the cards..

Similarly, if the user selects week from the first filter card, then the each point should be a week (so in the above case ,it would be 25th Oct) and so on with months, quarter being selected etc.,

I have seen this working with an option called "graph by" while editing the card but not able to get a similar option on the dashboard (PFB the screenshot)

x axis options.png

• define "huge" @user037924 

what you're asking for is not possible in base product without the redesigned I described.

there is a beta feature called "Filter Views" (talk to your CSM) which adds the ability to change the date grain of your visualizations as a Page Level Feature 

cc @GrantSmith 

Jae Wilson

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Hi @jaeW_at_Onyx,

The data is 1GB, So i feel that duplicating the same data for different levels like day, week, month, quarters would be problematic. If you feel otherwise, let me know.

I can see :"Filter Views" tab but with only 2 options...None and JTBD L1 View (one of the metric in my data).

What do we need to do to get date field and look for the options that you suggested regrading the date grain.

• Hi @jaeW_at_Onyx ,

Thank you Jae, I found out the "graph by" option as a page level filter which i was not aware of earlier. However it will get applied to the complete dashboard, whereas i would need it only for few of the cards in the dashboard. So, as @GrantSmith suggested, I think custom app can be an alternative.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• how many rows is 1gb. if we're talking in the low Millions, I would test out building a Date dimension before i invested the effort into building a custom app.

also it's a bit of a hack, but you could create a beastmode on just the subset of cards you want the filter to apply to called Date_2

then filter on Date_2, it would only impact those cards b/c the field only exists on certain cards.

Jae Wilson

This discussion has been closed.