Federated data solution - example

Hi Team,

Please help me understand the Federated data feature available in domo, I did go through the article https://knowledge.domo.com/Administer/Other_Administrative_Tools/Using_the_Federated_Data_Solution.

But, I would like to know the difference how it is useful to me when compared to workbench, currently I use domo workbench to upload data from different external sources then connect to Domo connector.

Thanks

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @Khan_Naziya 

Simply Federated Queries has Domo pull data from your local databases rather than having the extra step of ingesting the data into Domo's data ware house and then having domo pull from the Domo warehouse. It allows you to have up to date data rather than relying on the ingestion process continually being updated when ingesting into Domo. It also gives you more control over the data.

It is a premium feature and will cost extra. Just depends how much control you want from your data and how up to date you need it to be.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

Federated query should pretty much exclusively be considered if you cannot store data in Domo.

FQ comes with major ... limitations including,

- you can't transform data in Domo (b/c to transform data in domo you'd have to ultimately store it in Domo.)

- your card performance is dependent on query execution in your database engine (which passes the cost of query execution to YOUR redshift instance (or whatever database you're using).  

- it also passes the performance cost of query execution to your source system, so if your data isn't properly structured and indexed properly, it can feel DRASTICALLY slower than Domo.

It's not similar to a workbench pipeline, b/c the whole point of WB is to move and store the data in Domo.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @Khan_Naziya 

Simply Federated Queries has Domo pull data from your local databases rather than having the extra step of ingesting the data into Domo's data ware house and then having domo pull from the Domo warehouse. It allows you to have up to date data rather than relying on the ingestion process continually being updated when ingesting into Domo. It also gives you more control over the data.

It is a premium feature and will cost extra. Just depends how much control you want from your data and how up to date you need it to be.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

Federated query should pretty much exclusively be considered if you cannot store data in Domo.

FQ comes with major ... limitations including,

- you can't transform data in Domo (b/c to transform data in domo you'd have to ultimately store it in Domo.)

- your card performance is dependent on query execution in your database engine (which passes the cost of query execution to YOUR redshift instance (or whatever database you're using).  

- it also passes the performance cost of query execution to your source system, so if your data isn't properly structured and indexed properly, it can feel DRASTICALLY slower than Domo.

It's not similar to a workbench pipeline, b/c the whole point of WB is to move and store the data in Domo.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"