Nesting Bar Chart not showing totals after filter

Hello,

I've created a nesting bar chart and it shows the totals when I have all the data selected, however when I try to filter down to a specific format, the totals go away even though there are markets and stations still in there.  Any filtering removes a total and I would like totals implemented.  Any advice?

unfiltered.PNGfiltered.PNG

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @user031517 

When you filter your data you're telling Domo to ignore your other data rows so when it goes to plot your single filtered rows and has no context of your other rows / totals so you only have a single value which is your total value as well.

Instead of filtering you can still plot the data and keep the context but hide the visualization of the data by clicking on the elements in the legend. It will hide them but should still display your overall total.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @user031517 

When you filter your data you're telling Domo to ignore your other data rows so when it goes to plot your single filtered rows and has no context of your other rows / totals so you only have a single value which is your total value as well.

Instead of filtering you can still plot the data and keep the context but hide the visualization of the data by clicking on the elements in the legend. It will hide them but should still display your overall total.

• That helps, but is there a way to keep the total with filters at all?  We filter on actually many different variables and not just the one.

• No because the filter happens before the data is displayed so it's not there to show the totals since your card doesn't know about those rows.

• Understood, thank you.

• as @GrantSmith when you apply filters it sets the context for what data is available as you calculate the denominator in the percent of total calculation.

there is a new beta feature in development that will allow one visualization to support 'filter groups'.  the title of the feature may have changed, but the gist of the idea is that you can define a filter group that will not respond to certain filters.  so for example if you set a group "South West" and then you filtered where State = "Arizona" (which is in the South West), the South West group would include all states in the SW.

Ask your CSM for more information about the beta program, this feature may help you accomplish your visualzation requirement. 

@GrantSmith -- do you remember off top what hte feature was called?

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • I don't but I'm sure the CSM can help translate the request to the beta feature.

• Thanks, I will contact our CSM

• I think you are referring to Filter Views that is in Beta right now, but you could be referring to something else.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
This discussion has been closed.