Merge two dates

Hi,

Is it possible to merge two different date fields into one?

I want to merge the Project_startdate and Project_upgradedate as one field. Below is an example:

Project_startDate

Project_upgradedate

Projects

10/14/2020

10/14/2020

10/15/2020

10/20/2020

10/16/2020

10/17/2020

10/18/2020

10/19/2020

Projects.JPG

Thanks in advance

Best Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

Yes. You can do this in Magic ETL or in a beast mode. You would use the Set Column Value tile in the ETL. Here's a link to how to use it: https://knowledge.domo.com/Prepare/Magic_Transforms/ETL_DataFlows/04ETL_Actions%3A_Edit_Data#Set_Column_Value

In a Beast Mode, you would use the IFNULL function like this:

IFNULL('Project_upgradedate','Project_startdate')

This would use the project_upgradedate field if it is there. Otherwise, it would use the project_startdate field. 

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

If you have Magic 1.0 you split your data into 2 parts.  Where where Col B is NULL and Col B IS NOT NULL (use FILTER tiles)  then you can use SET COLUMN tile or I use SELECT and just choose the column I want to keep.

If you're on the Magic 2.0 beta you can use a Formula tile and use IFNULL as Mark recommended.

In MySQL you can use a COALESCE function.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

Yes. You can do this in Magic ETL or in a beast mode. You would use the Set Column Value tile in the ETL. Here's a link to how to use it: https://knowledge.domo.com/Prepare/Magic_Transforms/ETL_DataFlows/04ETL_Actions%3A_Edit_Data#Set_Column_Value

In a Beast Mode, you would use the IFNULL function like this:

IFNULL('Project_upgradedate','Project_startdate')

This would use the project_upgradedate field if it is there. Otherwise, it would use the project_startdate field. 

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

If you have Magic 1.0 you split your data into 2 parts.  Where where Col B is NULL and Col B IS NOT NULL (use FILTER tiles)  then you can use SET COLUMN tile or I use SELECT and just choose the column I want to keep.

If you're on the Magic 2.0 beta you can use a Formula tile and use IFNULL as Mark recommended.

In MySQL you can use a COALESCE function.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
This discussion has been closed.