Automatically add new Facebook ads campaigns to dataset and filters within cards

Hi,

Is there a way to automatically add new Facebook campaigns to my datasets?
I saw a topic from 2019 stating it isn't possible but maybe there is a workaround by now.

Situation:
I run ads for multiple products, which have multiple campaigns.

I want to see the total amount of clicks/spend/etc.

For example: I have campaign 1 - Product 1 and campaign 2 - Product 1.

I group these by filtering ("product 1") within the card which works fine.

The problem is when I create a new campaign which contains "Product 1" it isn't automatically added to the dataset.

Even when I add it to the dataset I have to manually add it to the filters for all the cards that use this campaign.

Is there any easier way to do this as this will take a lot of time.

Thanks in advance and if you have any questions please let me know!

Best Answer

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

Because I filter by campaign name (in the card editor) and have to manually select it to include it within the card.

Is there any way to come around this?

Otherwise I might have to do the filtering in the ETL to create an output. That should work automically, right?

OOOF.  don't do any filtering in ETL!

When you apply filters in Domo are you applying filters on a column that has the Product / Campaign combination that you described? or are you using a Beast Mode?

If you create a beast mode with a like clause, you will automatically include any campaignID that contains productName.

CASE WHEN lower(campaignID) like '%productname% THEN 'productName'

ELSE 'ignoreMe'

END

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• Hi @user046467 

Have you tried using the Facebook Ads Advanced connector using the 'Custom Insights' report type? This should allow you to select the FB Ad Account and should automatically include all new campaigns. With the other connector they aren't designed to automatically include any new campaigns so you have to manually selected them in the connection settings each time you add a new campaign.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Hi @GrantSmith 

Thanks for your quick reply.

I haven't used that one yet but that doesn't solve the second/filter problem if I am correct.

Because I filter by campaign name (in the card editor) and have to manually select it to include it within the card.

Otherwise I might have to do the filtering in the ETL to create an output. That should work automically, right?

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

OOOF.  don't do any filtering in ETL!

When you apply filters in Domo are you applying filters on a column that has the Product / Campaign combination that you described? or are you using a Beast Mode?

If you create a beast mode with a like clause, you will automatically include any campaignID that contains productName.

CASE WHEN lower(campaignID) like '%productname% THEN 'productName'

ELSE 'ignoreMe'

END

Jae Wilson

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks @jaeW_at_Onyx I got it working!

Another question (or should I open a new topic?) which I am struggling with is getting the date selector to work with the FB Ads advanced connection. 

Every date dimension doesn't seem to be working. I get the calendar but I just don't get data for the specific period (it says there is none). If I de-select it I get data.

I want to be able to filter it by day.

• @user046467 

let's be clear, when you're creating a connector you're saying you're unable to get 'the right data' OR in your cards you're not showing the 'right data'?

If you're having difficulty configuring a facebook connector, support might be a good avenue for you to pursue.

if you can't get the right data in Analyzer, is it because the data isn't in the dataset (which would be a connector configuration issue) or because you're struggling to set up your visualization the way you want it to work?

Jae Wilson

• @jaeW_at_Onyx 

Thanks for your response.

From what I can see all the data is coming in so that's working fine.

But with the (simple) Facebook Ads connector I can just select "Date" and select a timeframe I want within the date selector card.

Facebook Advanced Ads doesn't offer "date" I only have "batch_last_run", "Datestart" and "Datestop".

So if I select a specific timeframe using one of the options above I can select a timeframe but no data is being returned. Unless I choose the specific time a campaign started (hence "datestart"). Which isn't what I want to see. I want to see the results in that specific timeframe which is working in the simple ads connector.

I am probably overlooking something simple but is this something you can help me with or should I send support a message?

• Jae Wilson