How to grant permission for a user to access an ETL dataflow?

I have a privledged user that has access to the dataset however he can't seem to access the actual ETL dataflow. How would I go around doing that? Thanks

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

I was incorrect and was thinking of sharing datasets rather than dataflows. Right now you can't share data flows (but I did post an idea exchange for just that: https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Share-DataFlow-like-sharing-DataSet/idi-p/47867). Essentially you'd need to give the user "Manage Dataflows" permissions to see all dataflows currently.

They'd likely need permission to the datasets in order to run a preview within the dataflow.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• @user14700 

You'll need to have admin priveleges to do this or work with your instance's Domo Admin to set this up.

You'd need to either give all Privileged users the "Edit Dataflow" permission for that specific role (More > Admin > Roles) or create a new role for this specific user which has the "Edit Dataflow" permission and assign the user this new role. This is assuming they've had the dataflow shared with them. Currently the only way to allow another user to view a dataset is for them to have the "Manage Dataflows" and "Edit Dataflows" permissions.

If you want them to have permission to view any dataflow even if it hasn't been shared with them they'd also need the "Manage Dataflows" permission. This is connsidered a high security grant because it gives access to all dataflows.

• Wait, how do I share a dataflow with a user? I see that I can share a dataset that a dataflow outputs but I'm not seeing where I can do the former.

Also for clarification, say I have a dataflow that takes in 15 different inputs. Will I have to have those 15 inputs shared to the user as well just so they can access the ETL dataflow?

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

I was incorrect and was thinking of sharing datasets rather than dataflows. Right now you can't share data flows (but I did post an idea exchange for just that: https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Share-DataFlow-like-sharing-DataSet/idi-p/47867). Essentially you'd need to give the user "Manage Dataflows" permissions to see all dataflows currently.

They'd likely need permission to the datasets in order to run a preview within the dataflow.

• @user14700  yes you would have to share all inputs for them to see the dataflow. Most likely they would have to be shared using Edit and then they would also need a role that allows them to edit dataflows they have access to. 

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• Alright thanks. You would think Domo would make a more simpler way to do this by now. I've got dataflows with 30+ inputs and now I have to go to through all and share each on just so a user can edit a single dataflow? Seems kind of silly.

• Yea it is really annoying. What I have tried to do is use tagging to help distinguish between our big areas and then I do a search for that tag in the datacenter and then select all those datasets and share them with different users. If a lot of your inputs contain similar phrases or if there is a way to search for them then you can mass share them. 

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• @GrantSmith Did your idea for this in the exchange get deleted? I tried to click on it and upvote, but the link is dead.

Hoping Domo is still working on implementing something to address this issue as we are in a growing world of collaboration including ETL's!

I don't want to give our users admin rights or super user privileges to edit all ETL's -- I just want them to be able to share access to their ETL's to their other team members so they can work on them / review them together.