New to Domo: Period Comparison Gauge

Hello all,

I am relatively new to Domo and still trying to adjust my brain to it's unique ways (coming from a Qlikview/Cognos background). One of the things I am struggling with is feeling like I have to build a lot of things multiple times for different use cases. As an example - let's say I want to use the comparitive gauge to show how the count of something has changed period over period. In other tools I would just 'prompt' or ask the user which view/period  they were interested in seeing (year over year, month over month, week over week etc - and which specific time period) and therefore i wouldn't need to build like 4 versions of the chart or build out many numerous data flows to create custom calculations. I am not clear with Domo though how to achieve this most simply - with data flows or beast modes or how. What is the most efficient way of achieving this option? Also for other use cases, is there a way of prompting a user for information and then using that information in beast modes or other calculations?

I hope my question makes sense and thanks in advance for your help! Any tips or tricks from other developers who have platform switched to getting in the Domo mindset would be appreciated as well!

Julia

Comments

• Currently the only card type that I'm aware of that allows user to change the compartive time frames is the ones in the Period over Period chart type.When setting up something like a Variance Line Bar, you can choose a default of say, This Month vs 1 Month ago. And the user would then able to change this if they wanted. Here's a screenshot:

image.png

As far as being able to take a dynamic input from the user to use in the card, this can't be done with the current cards available. It may be possible with a custom design using the dev studio, but isn't something quickly accessible. You're only real option is to create lists of values for the user to be able to select from via filters.

Hope this helps,

Valiant

• Hi @julz 

Welcome to Domo, and to the Dojo.  It is hard to say what the most efficient way of doing something will be for you.  It depends a lot on how your data is structured, and what you are looking to produce.

If you don't mind sharing your dataset schema and perhaps a few examples of what you would like your output to look like, I can offer my suggestions.  Thanks.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
This discussion has been closed.