Batch Edit User Groups

BradRussell
BradRussell Member
edited March 2023 in Datasets

Is there anyway to batch edit user groups or even create an "all users" group?  My google foo is not finding any answers.

Thanks!

Brad

Comments

• @user19682 

If you go to the People tab in the Admin section, there is a Bulk Export button in the top right. It will download a CSV file that lists all of your people. One of the columns in the file is Groups. Just add the name of your group in that column for everyone that needs to be part of that group and then use the Bulk Import button to import the data back in. 

Hope this helps.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Thanks!  That won't create duplicate users will it?

• No, it will know to update existing records. You can add people at that time if you want to, though. It will update or add as necessary.

• Thanks!

• No problem. Don't forget to mark it as a solution to help others that see this later.

• Ok, what am I doing wrong?  I export the .csv, modify the file and save it, do the bulk import, and DOMO tells me all my records failed to import.

• That's hard to say without seeing the file. You could try exporting the file and then importing it back in again without making any modifications. If that is successful then it narrows down what might be happening with the changes you are making.

• I have tried doing the batch export and without even opening the .csv file, tried to re-import with no luck.  Thanks for any suggestions!

• That is strange because I have used it to update departments and job titles before. You may have to open a ticket with support, but you could also try just having one employee in your csv file and see if it can update a single person. That would possibly tell you that the data in one of the employees is constructed in such a way that the import can't handle it.

• Yeah, that is not working either.  Looks like I'm putting in a ticket.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

• Don't know if you got a solution from support, but I've had this same issue and solved it. My solution works on our Windows 7 desktop, not sure about other OS. When I follow these steps I am able to upload a file successfully.

• Download the file as a .csv
    • Find the file on the desktop
    • Right-click and select "Edit with Notepad++" (doesn't have to be Notepad++, just any text editor that will open .csv files and show the actual CSV formatting with commas and carriage returns)
    • Select entire file, making sure that formatting is correct (column header names have proper spelling and capitalization, commas are in the right spots, carriage returns at the end of lines, etc) and copy it to the clipboard.
    • Open a .txt with regular notepad and paste the file, making sure that the proper formatting from above is still true
    • Navigate to File > Save As
    • In the "Save as type:" field, select "All Files"
    • Add .csv to the end of your file name
    • In the bottom right corner next to the save button there should be an "Encoding:" drop-down. Change it from ANSI to UTF-8
    • Click save
    • DO NOT OPEN THE NEW FILE
    • Upload to Domo using the Bulk Import in the Admin page

Even though the original .csv file that I download says it is encoded in UTF-8, for some reason it doesn't get uploaded as UTF-8 unless I follow these steps.

Hopefully you've already gotten a solution, but if not, I hope this helps.