Error uploading Excel file

One of my business partners is loading a file, and is receiving this generic error message:  "We had a problem generating your preview, please check that your settings are valid and try again later.".

Does anyone know what some common Excel-related errors may be, in lieu of a less generic error message?

Comments

• This might not work for you but I noticed this error once when I tried to update data for a card.  I uploaded new data but the Excel sheet was on a different named tab and I forgot to pick which sheet on the new data file.  Once I selected the new sheet name, it generated a preview for me.

• swyatt
    swyatt Contributor

BrianL has stated a common occurence. Check the sheet name and be sure to refresh the preview.

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@jmagyar, did any of the above responses help address your question?

• Here are some questions that might help us find the right direction:

• What Excel file version you're using (the extention, is it xlslx?)
    • What's the size of your Excel file?
    • Are there any weird/special characters on it? (Use the filter tool, open each column and check on the lowest data entry point if there are any. Excel sorts them last so they're easy to spot)

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 3.06.44 PM.png 

• Godzilla
    Godzilla Contributor

Also, make sure there are no duplicate field names in the worksheet you're loading

Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'
  • I am also having this. It gives me a message at first and then just stays at "Preparing".