Page filters vs. card filters giving different values in charts

Hello,

I have built a dashboard with several cards on it. I want to apply a filter to it, call it Filter A. When I add Filter A as a filter to the dashboard and choose "select all" (so that nothing should be removed from the dataset), the values in my charts for # of Widget A and Widget B decrease. If I remove this filter, and then go into each of the cards and add the same filter and choose "select all," the number of Widgets is correct. Does anyone know why this difference might be occurring? 

I have a hypothesis: I noticed that there are 130 options in Filter A at the dashboard level, but 140 at my card level. When you are doing page/dashboard level filters, are the only options that appear options that are present in every single dataset on the page? See the example below:

Dataset 1 that flows into card 1: Filter A has values of A, B, C, and D

Dataset 2 that flows into card 2: Filter A has values of A, B, and D

Would the only options that appear that could be selected at the page/dashboard level filter be A, B, and D?

Thanks so much!

Sean

Comments

• @user11559 Could you provide a photo of what you mean? Also, are you using the standard page filters or the filter cards?

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• Hello! I'm using the standard page filter. See attached images. These are two charts on my dashboard screen-shotted from the dashboard view. One has no page-level filters on it and one has page level filters (though all the options for each filter are selected, so it should be the same thing as the no filter chart). If you look at the far right bar on the left chart in the view with filters, you can see the value is 7,030. The same bar in the same chart in the no-filter view has a value of 7,277. I'm confused because these values should be the exact same since I'm not actually filtering anything out. Thanks so much!

• So these same filters are applied directly in analyzer and then you are just applying the same filters at a page level and it filters the data down more even though the same filters were already applied?

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• Also to answer this question: 

I have a hypothesis: I noticed that there are 130 options in Filter A at the dashboard level, but 140 at my card level. When you are doing page/dashboard level filters, are the only options that appear options that are present in every single dataset on the page?

The page filters used to be separated by dataset and you had to choose which one but now it just merges all the columns together and gives you a list of everything so it should be the same thing as in the card. If anythign the card should have less because the dashboard would include more unless you already have another filter activated. 

• Thanks for your answer to my hypothesis! 

In the two examples I gave, there are no filters on the individual card level. I then add the dashboard level filters, selecting all options, and the values in my charts decrease. 

• Are the cards all using the same dataset or different ones? Does your data have any null values?

• There are five different datasets in the entire dashboard, but the fields we are filtering on are present in all 5. There are no null values in any of the fields we are filtering on or counting, however there are some null values in other columns that we are not using. 

• Can anyone provide advice? I am still having this issue. Thank you!

• @user11559  you might want to submit a ticket about it. It does'nt sound like its supposed to be happening. 

• Did you find a solution to this? 

I'm coming across the same problem. 

• I submitted a ticket a few weeks ago but there has been no solution yet. 

This discussion has been closed.