Display Numeric Value on Radial Gauge Chart

Is there a way to add a data label on a radial gauge chart, so users can see the numeric value without hovering? On some cards I've been able to display the value as the Summary Number, but I can't see how to do that if the value is a beast mode calculation. Also, I would sometimes like to use the Summary Number to display something besides the charted value, and still see in addition the value itself somewhere on the card without hovering. 

Best Answers

• Godiepi
    Godiepi Coach
    Answer ✓

A work around would be to build a beastmode to use as your summary number using a Concat() function

this way you can have more than just one metric displaying and adding some HTML formatting  to differentiate one thing to another

Screen Shot 05-30-19 at 02.48 PM.PNG

Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'
  • JacobFolsom
    JacobFolsom Admin
    Answer ✓

Good call out @Godiepi .

I would also recommend looking into bullet graphs as a visual alternative. You can configure data labels for each section. This works well when you need visualize single or multiple categories and plot actuals vs target vs range values. Also, notice the summary number which uses the referenced concat() function to provide a narrative of two metrics not plotted in the chart.

In my case below, I'm looking at a metric compared to last year and a range of milestone goals. I want to see the blue bar progressing past the red goal indicator.

bullet_graph.png

Jacob Folsom
    **Say “Thanks” by clicking the “heart” in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Godiepi
    Godiepi Coach
    Answer ✓

answers in RED below
    @user06488 wrote:

That looks like a great solution to my issue, Godiepi (thanks!), but I can only see Measures, not Dimensions, in the "Field & Function" list when configuring the Summary Number "That is correct, it depends what you would like to show, for example the radial value is a meassure coming from a calculation, if not it can become a calculation just by multiplying by 1", and the only beastmodes Measures that show up are ones that have aggregation functions (such as AVG). Is there some trick to getting the beastmode that uses CONCAT() to show up in that list to choose from? "Yes , it has to come from the result of an aggregation,  it would be good to know what fields are you working with and what are you expecting for the final result... I am just trying to blind guess ? "

Also,  can you please explain what the "call out" box in the upper right corner of your screenshot is and how you created it? Is it a Notebook card or something? "Oh, I screenshoted a rectangle for a completetly different card , only to give you a visual of formating a summary with HTML , fonts changing green vs gray or red depending of the value aggregated"

Thanks in advance! 

Domo Arigato!

Answers

• Great suggestion. We currently do not have this option. Please submit this to the Dojo Ideas Exchange http://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange-suggest-and-vote/idb-p/Ideas.

There are some exisiting requests for radial gauges, mostly around dynamic ranges instead of hard coded labels, as you mentioned with the beastmode solution to generate a target. I think your suggestion would be an improvement to offer more control around data label display options. 

Jacob Folsom
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Godiepi
    Godiepi Coach
    Answer ✓

A work around would be to build a beastmode to use as your summary number using a Concat() function

this way you can have more than just one metric displaying and adding some HTML formatting  to differentiate one thing to another

Screen Shot 05-30-19 at 02.48 PM.PNG

Domo Arigato!

• JacobFolsom
    JacobFolsom Admin
    Answer ✓

Good call out @Godiepi .

I would also recommend looking into bullet graphs as a visual alternative. You can configure data labels for each section. This works well when you need visualize single or multiple categories and plot actuals vs target vs range values. Also, notice the summary number which uses the referenced concat() function to provide a narrative of two metrics not plotted in the chart.

In my case below, I'm looking at a metric compared to last year and a range of milestone goals. I want to see the blue bar progressing past the red goal indicator.

bullet_graph.png

Jacob Folsom
  • That looks like a great solution to my issue, Godiepi (thanks!), but I can only see Measures, not Dimensions, in the "Field & Function" list when configuring the Summary Number, and the only beastmodes Measures that show up are ones that have aggregation functions (such as AVG). Is there some trick to getting the beastmode that uses CONCAT() to show up in that list to choose from?

Also,  can you please explain what the "call out" box in the upper right corner of your screenshot is and how you created it? Is it a Notebook card or something?

Thanks in advance! 

• DataJake - Thanks for the Bullet Graph suggestion. That might also work nicely for me, I will look into them.

• Godiepi
    Godiepi Coach
    Answer ✓

answers in RED below
    @user06488 wrote:

That looks like a great solution to my issue, Godiepi (thanks!), but I can only see Measures, not Dimensions, in the "Field & Function" list when configuring the Summary Number "That is correct, it depends what you would like to show, for example the radial value is a meassure coming from a calculation, if not it can become a calculation just by multiplying by 1", and the only beastmodes Measures that show up are ones that have aggregation functions (such as AVG). Is there some trick to getting the beastmode that uses CONCAT() to show up in that list to choose from? "Yes , it has to come from the result of an aggregation,  it would be good to know what fields are you working with and what are you expecting for the final result... I am just trying to blind guess ? "

Also,  can you please explain what the "call out" box in the upper right corner of your screenshot is and how you created it? Is it a Notebook card or something? "Oh, I screenshoted a rectangle for a completetly different card , only to give you a visual of formating a summary with HTML , fonts changing green vs gray or red depending of the value aggregated"

Thanks in advance! 

Domo Arigato!

• Got it to work! As you indicated, in my beastmode calculated field, I had to first aggregate my number, then wrap that in a CONCAT() function. The resulting calculated field then showed up in the list to choose from for a Summary Number, even though it's a "Dimension". Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.