Case Statement with AND function in SQL

I am using below query to mark the two fileds as 'Exclude'

SELECT *, CASE WHEN `account_number` = 20160001 and `document_number` = 57290 and `distribution_date` = '12/29/2018' then 'exclude'
WHEN `account_number` = 40200001 and `document_number` = 57290 and `distribution_date` = '12/29/2018' then 'exclude'
else 'Include' end as `GL FILTER` from `table`

However, I get the following result: the GL FIlter is 'Include' I want it to be 'Exclude'

domo.PNG

Could anyone please help.

Thanks,

Best Answer

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

I'm going to guess the issue has to do with your date column. If distribution date is seen as a date field and not text, you need to update your conditions to look like this:

SELECT *, CASE WHEN `account_number` = 20160001 and `document_number` = 57290 and `distribution_date` = '2018-12-29' then 'exclude'
    WHEN `account_number` = 40200001 and `document_number` = 57290 and `distribution_date` = '2018-12-29' then 'exclude'

If it's a datetime, then you'll need to format for that instead. 

Hopefully that gets you what you're after.

Best of luck,

Valiant

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

Answers

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

I'm going to guess the issue has to do with your date column. If distribution date is seen as a date field and not text, you need to update your conditions to look like this:

SELECT *, CASE WHEN `account_number` = 20160001 and `document_number` = 57290 and `distribution_date` = '2018-12-29' then 'exclude'
    WHEN `account_number` = 40200001 and `document_number` = 57290 and `distribution_date` = '2018-12-29' then 'exclude'

If it's a datetime, then you'll need to format for that instead. 

Hopefully that gets you what you're after.

Best of luck,

Valiant

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

• Thank you Valiant, This worked for me!