User Activity Log

dougowens
dougowens Member
edited March 2023 in Datasets

Does the user activity log count / track usage via the mobile app or just the web app?  Trying to hold users accountable and want to make sure that "no activity" reported in the activity log, truly means "no activity".

Best Answers

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

Page views are tracked when done from mobile. Individual card views do not seem to be tracked on mobile though. Just tested this with another user.

Sincerely,

Valiant

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

It was done via the App

Answers

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

Page views are tracked when done from mobile. Individual card views do not seem to be tracked on mobile though. Just tested this with another user.

Sincerely,

Valiant

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

• To double check, a page view via mobile is via the mobile browser or DOMO app?   Interesting that card views arent tracked.   

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

It was done via the App

• WHM
    WHM Contributor

We update our activity log dataset with the API and I checked and I see Mobile card views. 

VIEWED
    PAGE
    8/13/2018 5:05:57 AM
    mobile
    VIEWED
    CARD
    10/31/2017 2:51:01 AM
    mobile
    VIEWED
    CARD
    11/11/2017 3:12:23 PM
    mobile
    SHARED
    CARD
    7/19/2018 12:14:43 PM
    mobile
  • I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious @WHM about your comment. Essentially you're stating that the activity log in itself is not sufficient and so you were able to use the Domo API to supplement it with more data?

• WHM
    WHM Contributor

@Culper_Jr I just saw this because our old process broke. There was some garbage in the data and it failed to parse the CSV response throwing a too many columns error. That sent me down the rabbit hole of switching our javascript process to powershell. Well that ran into the API issue that using the "end" parameter with the API causes it to return an empty array. I found a post on exactly that issue from April of 2020... eye-roll.

To answer your question, When I started using Domo, there was no activity log dataset and we were forced to use javascript - here is the code we are calling currently

var audit = new com.domo.dp.js.HTTPConnectionV2('https://api.domo.com/v1/audit?start=' + start + '&end=' + end + '&limit=' + limit + '&offset=0', 'GET');

how this works but the API call does not is a mystery to me... The main thing was that we needed the activity data updated more frequently than once a day. I also believe that there is additional data in the API response that is not in the domostats dataset. The process suffered some damage when one of the admins "cleaned up" some of the datasets that were used in the process and -like all our Domo processes - it had become rather Rube Goldbergish. Hopefully I can rebuild the process using powershell and the API where I will have a little more control cleaning up the data being parsed. I use the activity log and our employee data to "promote people to 'Social'" if they have not logged into the instance in 90 days or they are termed.

Does that answer your question in a long and rambling way?