Grouping Dates with consecutive weeks

Hi,

I have to visualize Projected Out of Stock Items and the date it goes out of stock in the inventory.

I have a table which shows when the item may go out of stock. This table shows the Projected Inventory for every Monday of the week.

Item

Projected Inventory

Date

A1

L1

Aug 20, 2018

A1

L1

August 27, 2018

A1

L1

Sep 03,20-18

A1

L1

Sep 10, 2018

A1

L1

Sep 17

A1

L1

Sep 24

A1

L1

Oct 1

A1

L1

Oct 8

A1

L1

Oct 15

A1

L1

Oct 22

A1

L1

Oct 29

A1

L1

Nov 5

A1

L1

Nov 12

An item is considered to be Out of Stock if the : Projected Invenotry<20. Since the data is for every Monday of the week, it may take few weeks for the item to come back on stock(ie PI > 20).

As can be seen in the table, Item A1 goes out of stock on Aug 20, 2018 and comes back on stock on Sep 03, 2018. The output table desired is :

Item

PI

Date Out of Stock

A1

L1

Aug 20, 2018

A1

L1

Oct 15, 2018

This is quite complex for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Prajwal

Best Answers

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

So what I would do is first take your table of 4 columns and add a new column called 'Prior Week Inventory'. This gives you a baseline to compare against.

In a SQL transform you could do something like this. (I'll call your current table datasetA)

SELECT a.*,
    CASE WHEN
    (SELECT b.`Projected Inventory` FROM datasetA AS b where DATE_SUB(a.`Date`, INTERVAL 7 DAY) = b.`Date`) IS NULL
    THEN '20'
    ELSE
    (SELECT b.`Projected Inventory` FROM datasetA AS b where DATE_SUB(a.`Date`, INTERVAL 7 DAY) = b.`Date`)
    END AS 'Prior Week Inventory'
    FROM datasetA AS a

With your new dataset you can create a filter at the card level to remove the rows that don't apply.

That would look like this:

CASE WHEN `Prior Week Inventory` >= 20 AND `Projected Inventory` < 20 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

Set your filter to = 1 and that should give you the card you're looking for.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions,

Valiant

• rado98
    rado98 Contributor
    Answer ✓

If SQL is not your thing (like me) you can get the same new column using the lead function in magic ETL

• rado98
    rado98 Contributor
    Answer ✓

In magic ETL the function isin the Rank & Window file. Check out the knowledge base about it.

Answers

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

So what I would do is first take your table of 4 columns and add a new column called 'Prior Week Inventory'. This gives you a baseline to compare against.

In a SQL transform you could do something like this. (I'll call your current table datasetA)

SELECT a.*,
    CASE WHEN
    (SELECT b.`Projected Inventory` FROM datasetA AS b where DATE_SUB(a.`Date`, INTERVAL 7 DAY) = b.`Date`) IS NULL
    THEN '20'
    ELSE
    (SELECT b.`Projected Inventory` FROM datasetA AS b where DATE_SUB(a.`Date`, INTERVAL 7 DAY) = b.`Date`)
    END AS 'Prior Week Inventory'
    FROM datasetA AS a

With your new dataset you can create a filter at the card level to remove the rows that don't apply.

That would look like this:

CASE WHEN `Prior Week Inventory` >= 20 AND `Projected Inventory` < 20 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

Set your filter to = 1 and that should give you the card you're looking for.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions,

Valiant

• Hi,

I am getting the following error when I run the SQL transform:

"The database reported a syntax error. Subquery returns more than 1 row"

Regards,

Prajwal

• rado98
    rado98 Contributor
    Answer ✓

If SQL is not your thing (like me) you can get the same new column using the lead function in magic ETL

• Hi, 

Which function should i use exactly?

I tried but could not figure it.

• Can anyone help me out with this error?

I am not able to figure it out.

• rado98
    rado98 Contributor
    Answer ✓

In magic ETL the function isin the Rank & Window file. Check out the knowledge base about it.

• Thanks a lot. It worked like a charm.:)