Period over period chart percent change error

SEC
SEC Contributor

I created a card using the period over period chart type that shows the year over year numbers as bars and the percent change as a line.  I have run across an error when the prior year number is a negative and the current year number is positive, the percent change calculated is a negative even though the change is an increase. Since this is a defualt calculation in the card I am unable to correct this.  Can it be changed to make it an absolute calculation?  

Best Answer

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

I was able to replicate that behavior as well. From what I can tell, the only way around it would be to use a line/bar chart, manually calculating your variance and build in a case statement for if your previous period is negative. If it is, this its the variance of the absolute value of the previous period compared to current + 100%, otherwise it's the standard variance calculation of (Current/Previous) -1.

Definitely seems like there should be an option that would handle those cases though on the PoP card.

Sincerely,
    Valiant_Ronin

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

Answers

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

I was able to replicate that behavior as well. From what I can tell, the only way around it would be to use a line/bar chart, manually calculating your variance and build in a case statement for if your previous period is negative. If it is, this its the variance of the absolute value of the previous period compared to current + 100%, otherwise it's the standard variance calculation of (Current/Previous) -1.

Definitely seems like there should be an option that would handle those cases though on the PoP card.

Sincerely,
    Valiant_Ronin

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

• SEC
    SEC Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm also going to submit this to Domo help to see if it can be fixed for the POP card.

This discussion has been closed.