SUM of CASE in Beast Mode

Hi,

I am trying to sum a column based on date value output from another case statement, but i dont see anything getting calculated when i check the formula.

there are no formula validation issues.

SUM((CASE when (CASE when DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%d')=1
then
(CASE when DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m')=1
then 'Open Month' else
(CASE when DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m')=4
then 'Open Month' else
(CASE when DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m')=7
then 'Open Month' else
(CASE when DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m')=10
then 'Open Month' else '' end)
end)
end)
end)
else
(CASE when LAST_DAY(`Date`)=`Date`
then
(CASE when DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m')=6
then 'Close Month' else
(CASE when DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m')=9
then 'Close Month' else
(CASE when DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m')=12
then 'Close Month' else '' end)
end)
end)
else
(CASE when CURRENT_DATE()=`Date`
then 'Close Month' else '' end)
end)
end)='Open Month' then `Total_HC_Opening` end))

Best Answers

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

You're just trying to sum up Total_HC_Opening for the first day of certain months?

I think you could really simplify this:

SUM(CASE WHEN DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%d') = 1 AND DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m') IN (1,4,7,10) THEN `Total_HC_Opening` END)

Does this work?

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

When using DATE_FORMAT, the result is not a value, but a string.  You need to use single quotes and they need to be two characters long.  Something like this:

sum(case when DATE_FORMAT(`Date of Invoice`,'%d')='01' and DATE_FORMAT(`Date of Invoice`,'%m')='02' then `Sales at constant Exchange Rate` end)

2.png

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

I had the same thought as @ST_-Superman-_ but it actually works for me as-is.

SUM(CASE WHEN DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%d') = 1 AND DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m') IN (1,4,7,10) THEN `Value1` END) 

See attached table sum file.

Also from this site the other attachment with format explanation.

Aaron

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

You're just trying to sum up Total_HC_Opening for the first day of certain months?

I think you could really simplify this:

SUM(CASE WHEN DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%d') = 1 AND DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m') IN (1,4,7,10) THEN `Total_HC_Opening` END)

Does this work?

Aaron

• Sumeet
    Sumeet Member

Yes, I am trying the same as you are suggesting but still returns nothing.

• Sumeet
    Sumeet Member

When i use only month from date format it is showing the calculation but when i add date as 1 it shows nothing, infact i tried with all possible date but comes up nothing.

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

When using DATE_FORMAT, the result is not a value, but a string.  You need to use single quotes and they need to be two characters long.  Something like this:

sum(case when DATE_FORMAT(`Date of Invoice`,'%d')='01' and DATE_FORMAT(`Date of Invoice`,'%m')='02' then `Sales at constant Exchange Rate` end)

2.png

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

I had the same thought as @ST_-Superman-_ but it actually works for me as-is.

SUM(CASE WHEN DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%d') = 1 AND DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m') IN (1,4,7,10) THEN `Value1` END) 

See attached table sum file.

Also from this site the other attachment with format explanation.

Aaron

• Sumeet
    Sumeet Member
    Spoiler

Hi All,

Thank you for your help, the code did not work initially because it was returning null value of day 1 of the month, but i had applied some more logic to it and now able to get the desiered output.