How do I add a trend line?

I know I saw this at Domopalooza in one of the breakout sessions (even tried to snap a pic of the screen but wasn't fast enough), so perhaps a Domosapien or a Major Domo with superior math skills can help me figure out how to derive a Beast Mode formula to demonstrate a trend line over a particular metric.  What I'd like to do is use a Column + Line card, and have the line be the trend.  While the columns may go up and down across the time series, the trend is more than just the net change between the first and last point - there's an overall (weighted?) slope to the result across multiple periods.  

How can this be accomlished?  Thanks in advance, Community!

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
**Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"

Best Answer

• zcameron
    zcameron Admin
    Answer ✓

In the last big release there was functionality added to the single bar, scatter, and a few other cards to include a regression line. It will use a least squares regression formula to create a trend line and superimpose it on your card. Maybe this would be a simple solution for you.

To build one, create a Single Bar card like normal. Then in the Chart Properties section on the left, find the Regression Line section and click the Show Linear Regression Line option. You can customize the style and color of the line there as well. 

Does that look like it could solve your problem?

Answers

• zcameron
    zcameron Admin
    Answer ✓

In the last big release there was functionality added to the single bar, scatter, and a few other cards to include a regression line. It will use a least squares regression formula to create a trend line and superimpose it on your card. Maybe this would be a simple solution for you.

To build one, create a Single Bar card like normal. Then in the Chart Properties section on the left, find the Regression Line section and click the Show Linear Regression Line option. You can customize the style and color of the line there as well. 

Does that look like it could solve your problem?

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@ckatzman, did zcameron's reply help answer your question?

• ckatzman
    ckatzman Contributor

Thanks for the reminder.  i had forgotten about that new feature, and that may work for me.  

As always, the possible utilization desires may exceed designed/intended functionality.  If anyone knows how to create that formulaically in Beast Mode, that would still be of interest - my initial thought around this was wanting to incorporate the trend line on either a Grouped + Line or a Stacked + Line rather than a single-bar.

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
    **Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
  • I don't see the "regression line" setting in the chart properties. where is it located within chart properties exaclty.  Ideally, i would like to add a regression line to the chart below.bar.JPG

• The regression line options aren't available for a grouped chart. You'd need to use a Single Bar card to make use of that option.

This discussion has been closed.