Dataset Data Definitions, Metadata, Sources and Information

Can someone please help?

I figure that there has to be some way to organize data definitions for individual columns, or just general data in a dataset. I was hoping someone could share best practices of this? The tiny description space is extremely inadequate for this, even if there was just a notes page that I could edit for each dataset and freely enter information that would do. Am I missing something? How is this accomplished?

Thanks for your help. 

Comments

• Hi,

Is anyone able to help out with this request?

Thanks,

• Chips
    Chips Domo Employee

You could create a "Data Dictionary" card to share with everyone and then have it linked to your cards? I've even seen someone go so far as including hyperlinks on their Data Dictionary card to examples of those terms being used. 

"Term" - Achievement

"Business Definition" - Order that has been fully approved and has retired quota

"Technical Defintion" - Sales Order object approved in ERP with effective date as of today or prior

"Best place to see it" - Hyperlink to card

Domo Consultant

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thank you, 

This does sound like a reasonable solution. How do you though link a card to a dataset, without it being dependent on the data? Is there a specific type of card that you've seen work best for this?

• Chips
    Chips Domo Employee

It is fairly easy to link a card to another (Search the "Link Related Card" field at the bottom of any card and select your Data Dictionary card). 

As for Linking a card to a dataset I can't immediately think of a durable solution. Would just suggest that you link each card you create to the Data Dictionary card as described directly above.

Chips

Domo Consultant

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks for your response. 

For situations of wanting shared understanding of terms of cards or any visualization, I think this makes sense as a workaround (creating a text card that can be used for definitions). Although this does still seem like an unnecessary step as a "notes" section should be available for these types of things, or even ideally a more developed way to actually label terms used in the visualization directly that maybe could be used in a pop up to give context/understanding. 

But that said, I'm still not sure the solution to actually being able to define and properly hold metadata for the general data and datasets that are being held. This seems like a slight oversight by DOMO, and for datasets it does seem like a notes section is both easy to do, and important to have. 

Does anyone know of a way to advance this concern to the DOMO team?

This discussion has been closed.