Value Mapper using String

Can I use value mapper using string data? I want to label social media posts based on the caption to specify what products are they talking about.

For instance

image.png

So I want to search for "ball" in the caption and put "ball in a new column. Same goes for "food" in the second row.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Gimli
    Gimli Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

Hello @Adhitya
    Value mapper would not be the best thing in this specific example. In Magic ETL the best thing to do is to create a filter for each value and then add constants. 
    For example

Data -- > (filter column) filter for when `column` contains 'ball' --> (Add constants) Add a column with the text 'Ball'. --> You would then Append all of your data together to get all results the same. 

Here are some screenshots of the steps:

**Say “Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• Is anyone able to help out with this request?

• Gimli
    Gimli Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

Hello @Adhitya
    Value mapper would not be the best thing in this specific example. In Magic ETL the best thing to do is to create a filter for each value and then add constants. 
    For example

Data -- > (filter column) filter for when `column` contains 'ball' --> (Add constants) Add a column with the text 'Ball'. --> You would then Append all of your data together to get all results the same. 

Here are some screenshots of the steps:

**Say “Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • I went the harder way and learned myself a little bit of SQL Dataflow

My solution was using this

SELECT *,

CASE

WHEN `caption` LIKE '%ball%' THEN ‘ball’

WHEN `caption` LIKE '%food %' THEN ‘food’

ELSE ‘ ‘

END as `products`

FROM text

I think yours is easier to learn and implement. Thankyou @ilikenno!